22-26, BROAD STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204340
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
22-26, BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 22-26, BROAD STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204340 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 12:08:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
22-26, BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58776 73111

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SE BROAD STREET, Centre 901-1/11/523 (South West side) 04/03/77 Nos.22-26 (Consecutive) (Formerly Listed as: BROAD STREET (South side) Nos.22, 23, 25 AND 26)

GV II

Terrace of 4 houses, now offices and restaurant. c1770, late C19 and mid C20 shop fronts. Brick with limestone dressings, limestone ashlar ground floor to Nos 23 & 25, granite dressings to No.26, party wall stacks, roof not visible. Double-depth plan, No.24 to the rear of No.32. Each of 3 storeys attic and basement; 2-window range, No.23 of 1 window. Articulated by pilasters above the ground floor to a cornice set forward over the pilasters, first-floor flush sill band, and a parapet, stepped up to No.23. Varied ground floors: No.23 has a C19 shop front with pilasters to paired consoles and a cornice, C20 windows with glazing bars and right-hand door, and a C18 semicircular-arched doorway to the right with batswing fanlight and 6-panel door. Nos 23 & 25 have C20 ashlar ground floor with right-hand semicircular-arched doorways, that to the right open and leading to an alleyway to No.24, No.23 to a plate-glass door. Cambered heads to 5 stepped voussoirs, 6/6-pane sashes, horned to Nos 23 & 25, which have 3/6-pane second-floor sashes; wide C20 dormer across Nos 23 & 25. No.26 is painted with a good late C19 shop front in 3 sections with granite square columns and banded antae to a fascia with cornice of palmettes, segmental-arched central section and right-hand doorway. Semicircular-arched alleyway with a studded C17 door to No.26. INTERIOR: Nos 22-25 interconnected into one office: left-hand central lateral dogleg stairs, C20 on the ground-floor of No.25, with uncut string, stick balusters and column newels, ramped rails; Adam-style first-floor front fire surrounds with pastoral scenes and rocaille with cast-iron hob grates; to the rear in No.24 is a good early C17 stone Tudor-arched fire surround with a cornice, shield and paterae. No.26 has a central lateral dogleg stair as the others with flying landings above a central light well. (Gomme A: Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest: 9; Winstone R: Bristol As It Was: Bristol: 1874 PLATE 19).

Listing NGR: ST5877673111

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379005
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A, Street Index of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest9
Winstone, R, Bristol As It Was 1879-1874, (1965)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15522/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].