Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1204361

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994



Ordnance survey map of LION LODGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204361 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:46:42.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 52350 38032


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL53NW AUDLEY END ROAD, Audley End 669-1/3/335 Lion Lodge 01/11/72 (Formerly Listed as: AUDLEY END Lion Lodge)


Lodge to Audley End House (qv), adjacent to Lion Gate (qv). c1846. Red brick with stone dressings. Partly 2 storey. Rectangular plan but with projection on 3 sides. Roofs all obscured by pierced stone parapets in Elizabethan style. All windows are casements of cast-iron with lozenge and octagonal latticed glazing. Large windows have stone mullions and transoms. W front elevation: intended irregularity, central 2-storey full-height 3-cant bay window, single light window to each cant on both floors, to S, plain 2-storey block set back, S facing single storey porch in front with single light and solid corniced parapet with Tudor roses. To N of bay window single storey unit set back with `cross' window and pierced parapet. Between units a group of tall chimney shafts with shaped brick heads rises behind facade. N end elevation: symmetrical single storey unit to front with central rectangular bay window mullioned and transomed, 3x3 lights, flanking waterheads both dated 1846. Behind parapet, 5 grouped chimney shafts rise over 2 storey block and have a stone panel bearing a coat of arms inset in a rectangular base, pierced parapet each side. To E, single storey unit with solid parapet, similar to that on porch and with single light window. S end elevation: 2-storey block of 2 first floor window range, both of 2 lights. Centre of pierced parapet has additional arched decoration, waterhead below dated 1848. To W, block set back with single storey porch in front, solid parapet continued from front elevation. Plain doorway with framed, boarded and studded door with upper triple-arcaded decoration, also studded. Rear, E elevation: principal 2-storeyed block with 2-storeyed projection to S, single storeyed continuation to N with lower single storeyed projection to front (E). All windows and doors have brick reveals and are segment headed. Centre range, single ground and first floor windows of 2 lights, doorway with C19 door of 4 flush bead moulded panels. N projection to E has a similar door. S projection to E has a single light ground floor window. Garden wall attached to house on N side has doorway decorated in Elizabethan style with parapet over shaped with triple arches and accompanying tall pyramidal finials, plain C20 door. INTERIOR not inspected. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Ratcliffe E: Essex: London: 1965-: 65).

Listing NGR: TL5235038032


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 370375

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1965), 65
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 15 Essex,

End of official listing