THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1204583

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 18:09:51.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD VICARAGE,KING EDWARD VI GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Grid Reference: SP 20077 54726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHURCH STREET 604-1/10/50 (South East side) 25/10/51 The Old Vicarage, King Edward VI Grammar School (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (East side) King Edward VI Grammar School; The Old Vicarage; The Pedagogue's House)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET. Vicarage, now headmaster's house. 1702 with later alterations. By Francis Smith. Brick; tile roof with brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 2 storeys with attic; 5-window range. Platt band over ground floor and top cornice. Round-headed entrance to left of centre has doorcase with panelled pilasters and bracketed open pediment, fanlight with radial glazing bars over 6-fielded-panel door. Windows have rubbed brick flat arches over cross-casements, most with leaded glazing; left end has later canted bay window with hipped slate roof and similar smaller 1st-floor bay, 12:16:12-pane sashes to ground floor, 4:16:4-pane sashes to 1st floor; attic has 4 irregularly spaced hipped dormers with 2-light small-paned casements. Rear has 2 gabled wings with stucco, narrow right end under catslide roof has end stack. INTERIOR noted as having some panelling and staircase with turned balusters. Part of the group of buildings used by the King Edward VI Grammar School. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 26).

Listing NGR: SP2011354695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366200

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 26

End of official listing