Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204677.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 04:13:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:


KIRMINGTON MAIN STREET TA 11 SW (south side) 7/27 Church of Saint Helen 6/11/67 GV II* Parish church. C13 tower, early C14 north arcade, later C14 south arcade. Spire erected 1838. Restorations of 1859-60 by S S Teulon included partially rebuilding chancel, opening blocked arcades and tower arch and providing new aisles. Spire restored 1895. Ironstone ashlar tower, much weathered, remainder in limestone and ironstone with limestone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof; copper-covered wooden spire. West tower, 4- bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. 3-stage tower: chamfered plinth, angle buttresses to first 2 stages, stair lighting slits to south-west corner. Small lancets to first stage, blocked to south; string course. Clockface to second stage; string course. Twin lancet belfry openings, string course, weathered angle gargoyles and low parapet. Wrought-iron parapet railings with plain rails, single top rail and ball finials to principals. Hexagonal spire with weathercock. North aisle: plinth, buttresses, sill string-course; pointed 2-light traceried windows. South aisle: plinth; pointed 3-light traceried windows, pointed moulded south door. Chancel: pointed chamfered south door, pointed 3-light traceried north and south windows, pointed 5-light east window with hood- mould and foliate stops. All windows C19 with geometrical tracery. Interior. Tall triple-chamfered segmental-pointed tower arch with hood- mould and plain chamfered jambs. North arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches with hood-moulds and carved headstops on broad filleted quatrefoil piers with water-holding bases, circular plinths and moulded capitals with a remarkable series of carved heads, including bishop, a crowned head and a signum triciput. South arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers with single rings around lower sections, plain moulded capital, chamfered bases and square plinths. C19 pointed double chamfered chancel arch with shafted inner order. C19 4-bay nave roof with collar, king struts and curved wind-braces. Ornate ashlar and marble font dated 1860. The north and south aisles were demolished in 1742 and 1774 respectively, and the roof lowered in 1789. N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England : Lincolnshire, 1978, 288-9; drawing by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library. Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, Vol V, pt 1, 1859, xx; ibid pt 2, 1860, lxxi.

Listing NGR: TA1061411296


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 288-9
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Part 1, , Vol. 5, (1859), 20
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Part 2, , Vol. 5, (1860), 71


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03047/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Janet Tierney. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].