YEOMANRY HALL AND ATTACHED BUILDING BORDERING YARD TO SOUTH YEOMANRY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204843
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Nov-1994
Statutory Address:
YEOMANRY HALL AND ATTACHED BUILDING BORDERING YARD TO SOUTH, HUNTER STREET
Statutory Address:
YEOMANRY HOUSE, HUNTER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of YEOMANRY HALL AND ATTACHED BUILDING BORDERING YARD TO SOUTH
YEOMANRY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204843 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:45:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
YEOMANRY HALL AND ATTACHED BUILDING BORDERING YARD TO SOUTH, HUNTER STREET
Statutory Address:
YEOMANRY HOUSE, HUNTER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Buckinghamshire
District:
Aylesbury Vale (District Authority)
Parish:
Buckingham
National Grid Reference:
SP 69315 33542

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6933 HUNTER STREET 879-1/6/86 (West side) 13/10/52 Yeomanry House, Yeomanry Hall and attached building bordering yard to south (Formerly Listed as: HUNTER STREET (West side) Yeomanry House)

GV II

Former barracks, officer's house and Masonic hall, now part of University of Buckingham. Early C19, altered C20. House is rendered with incised masonry patterns with slate roof and brick end stacks. L-plan. 3-storeys; 3-window range. Central 6-panel, double-leaf doors approached by 2 stone steps with leaded overlight, panelled reveals and moulded, rendered surround with pediment supported on console brackets. 16-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors. 12-pane sashes to 2nd floor, all with rendered sills. Plinth with hollow-chamfered top moulding. Pilaster strips either end and flanking central bay with Ionic capitals. Moulded cornice with egg-and-dart ornament and coped parapet. 2-storey wing to rear right. Masonic hall to left of red brick in English bond with slate roof. Gable end facing street has leaded 3-light moulded wood mullion window with 3 transoms; top transom thicker than rest with additional ornament and Tudor-arched heads to top lights. Window has raised brick surround, moulded sill and flat-arched head. Side elevation to left has 3 bays of similar windows with 1 transom and stop-chamfered wood lintels. Projecting bay or oriel to inner end left side has similar windows of 4 lights to front and 1 light to sides, all with 2 transoms and stop-chamfered wood lintels. Street end has wave-moulded plinth, moulded sill band, rusticated brick quoins above band end pediment framed by brick mouldings. Angles and apex of pediment are of ironstone and gable has ironstone kneeler to left. Cogged brick eaves to side. Former barracks surround remaining sides of yard and are of coursed squared limestone faced with red brick in Flemish bond to yard elevations, now partly rendered; slate roofs. Gable end facing street has loft door with wood lintel. 2-storey yard elevations have sash and casement windows. Semicircular windows to ground floor of range behind house which was probably formerly stabling. Cogged brick eaves. INTERIOR: house has former open-well stair with painted stick balusters and mahogany handrail. Hall has 4-bay open roof with arch-braced, brattished tie beams resting on stone corbels, queen posts to collars, king posts and 3 tiers of through purlins. First floor of former barrack building, now library, has stop-chamfered beams. One near centre of main range bears painted inscription: LORD NELSON DYING TRIUMPHANT OVER THE/ COMBINED FLEETS OF FRANCE AND SPAIN/ OCTR 21ST 1805 and on timber lintel of nearby window Burdett and Liberty forever. Other faded inscriptions dated 1819. L-shaped room beyond with open roof of tie beams, queen struts and 2 tiers of butt purlins. Trusses are numbered for assembly in Roman numerals.

Listing NGR: SP6931533542

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377185
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/04044/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stewart Martin Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].