This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRIST'S HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRIST'S HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1204931

Location

CHRIST'S HOSPITAL, MARKET HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Buckingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 377199

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKINGHAM

SP6934 MARKET HILL 879-1/5/99 (South side) Christ's Hospital

GV II

Almshouses. Built 1897. Red brick in Flemish bond with some stone dressings, half-hipped slate roof with ornamental ridge tiles, and brick internal stacks. Small tenement block, with attached stair and balcony access to 1st floor. 2-storey, 3-window range. Plank doors with 2 panel mouldings and segmental-arched heads to far left, to left of centre and to right, to ground and 1st floors. Stair to far right has brick side wall to ground floor, York stone steps and open timber-framed 1st floor with round-headed arches between posts. Stair leads to continuous balcony along front of building on timber posts with wrought-iron balustrade. 2-storey bay window to left with tripartite sash window to ground and 1st floors and 2-storey double bay window to centre with similar sashes. Windows have flush York stone sills. Stack nearest centre of building is larger than the other and bears large memorial stone of limestone with shaped pediment inscribed Founded/ AD 1312. Main inscription reads: Refounded by /Queen Elizabeth/AD 1597/ Rebuilt/ in the 60th year/ of the reign of/ Queen Victoria/ AD 1897. The almshouses are believed to have been built on the site of the Hospital of St Lawrence, first mentioned in 1312. Christ's Hospital was founded by Queen Elizabeth I to house '36 maimed soldiers' from the Buckinghamshire area but by the C17 housed '7 ancient women'. At the time of its rebuilding it housed 6 unmarried women. It cost ยป843 7s 9d. (Sheahan JJ: The History and Topography of Buckinghamshire: London: 1862-: 240; Harrison JT: Historical Buckingham: Buckingham: 1909-: 34; Victoria County History: Buckinghamshire: London: 1925-: 488).

Listing NGR: SP6966634046

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, J T , Historical Buckingham, (1909), 34
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Buckingham, (1927), 488
Sheahan, J, History and Topography of Buckinghamshire, (1862), 240

National Grid Reference: SP 69666 34046

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204931 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 11:37:50.

End of official listing