HIGH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1204939
Date first listed:
27-Nov-1991
Statutory Address:
HIGH HOUSE, FINGRITH HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1204939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:36:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGH HOUSE, FINGRITH HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Blackmore, Hook End and Wyatts Green
National Grid Reference:
TL 60541 02637

Details

BLACKMORE

TL60SW FINGRITH HALL LANE 723-1/2/21 High House 27/11/91

II

House. C17, extended in C20. Timber-framed, weatherboarded, roofed with axial stack at left end. C17 stair outshut to rear of left bay, and later outshut to rear of right bay, both forming catslides with the main roof. C20 lean-to porch to right of rear right outshut. 2 storeys. One C20 casement on ground floor, 2 on first floor. C20 door in C20 gabled porch in front of stack. The left side is faced with C19 red brickwork in English bond up to first-floor level, with a large cement-rendered panel in the middle, apparently covering a former hearth to the left of the present stack, and the associated C17 brickwork. Large C20 dormer in catslide roof of rear right outshut. INTERIOR: chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops, plain joists of vertical section; inserted trap in floor near front right corner, with some C19 studding and nailed bracing to left of it. Unjowled posts, heavy studding with primary straight bracing, all jointed and pegged. C19 brick nogging has replaced the ground-floor studding of the right wall. Straight central tie-beam, with inserted partition below. The framed doorway at the head of the stair outshut is original, and implies that the stair outshut is original also. The stack has on the ground floor a large wood-burning hearth with 0.33m jambs and a seat recess in each; the left jamb has been repaired with C20 handmade bricks, and the remainder has been repaired and repointed. Blocked rectangular aperture at rear, with iron lintel, for former bread oven. The first-floor hearth has chamfered jambs and segmental arch, originally plastered, now stripped, but retaining traces of original painted plaster and inscribed course lines inside. Early C19 cast-iron grate for coal with embossed design in side panels. Rectangular recessed panel above. Both hearths are original. These, and the unusually high storeys, indicate the house is the remaining part of a C17 lobby-entrance house which formerly extended one bay to left of the stack. The left bay has been demolished, the stack rendered on the outside, and the spaces in front of and to the rear of it have been closed with C19 brickwork. The tithe map of 1846 appears to show the full length of the original house, but the First Edition OS map of 1873 shows it truncated to its present plan. (Essex Record Office: Tithe map: 1846-: D/CT 37).

Listing NGR: TL6054102637

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373325
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01152/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R. Brealey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].