COMPRIGNEY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1205272

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1993

Statutory Address: COMPRIGNEY, COMPRIGNEY HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of COMPRIGNEY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 15:15:21.

Location

Statutory Address: COMPRIGNEY, COMPRIGNEY HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Truro

National Grid Reference: SW 81736 45512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRURO

SW84NW COMPRIGNEY HILL 880-1/1/34 (West side) Comprigney

II

Country house. C18 with possible C16 core, extended early C20 for George Coulter Hancock. Stucco or render on masonry; hipped dry Delabole slate roofs with rendered axial stacks. Fairly large rectangular double-depth plan. Classical-style features. 2 storeys; SE front is overall 9-window range: symmetrical 7-window front of C18 house on the right and 2-window return of early C20 projecting wing on the left. Plinth; moulded architraves with pediments to ground floor; moulded string and eaves cornice; early C19 and early C20 sashes with glazing bars. Central round-headed doorway within recessed panel; panelled reveals and spoked fanlight over 6-panel door. Left-hand return is early C20 three-bay garden front with central bay broken forward and surmounted by a triangular pediment with modillioned cornices and oculus over small 9-pane sash to first floor and Venetian window to ground floor. Other elevations also unaltered since early C20. INTERIOR: many good quality possibly C18 and early C20 features including probably mid C18 dogleg stair with closed string, column-turned balusters and moulded mahogany handrail; round-headed doorcases, to entrance vestibule, with panelled reveals; panelled doors and shutters, moulded architraves, moulded plaster ceiling cornices (some carved) and many chimney-pieces. History: In C16 Comprigney was a 24-acre manor and part of the Duke of Arundell's estate. In 1718 it was the birthplace of the Reverend Thomas Vivian whose son John (according to Tregellas) may be called the founder of the Cornish copper trade; his son Sir Richard Hussey Vivian distinguished himself at Waterloo and became Baron Vivian of Glynn and Truro; also MP for Truro 1820-1826 and 1833-1835. The house was then the property of his heirs until passing to William Mitchell who died there in 1845. During World War II the house was requisitioned by the American Forces. (Miller & Company, sale particulars: 1990-).

Listing NGR: SW8173645512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 377356

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing