HOVE CLUB AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205450
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1992
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Oct-2000
Statutory Address:
HOVE CLUB AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 28, FOURTH AVENUE, BN3 2PJ

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOVE CLUB AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205450 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 10:49:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOVE CLUB AND ATTACHED WALL AND RAILINGS, 28, FOURTH AVENUE, BN3 2PJ

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28860 04688

Details

TQ 2804 NE, 17/46

HOVE, FOURTH AVENUE (West side), Number 28, Hove Club and attached Wall railings

02.11.92

GV

II

Clubhouse, part now casino. 1897 by Samuel Denman (Middleton, p.30); ground floor partly re-ordered and 1st floor converted for use as casino 1978; other late-C20 alterations. Red brick, stone dressings including string courses, panelled parapet, clay tiled roof with glazed skylight covering the apex of the south range, ornamental stacks in gable ends. Jacobean style. Parallel range set gable end onto the road (east), entrance on north front via loggia.

East front: 2 storeys over basement, 1:1:2:1:1 bays, second and fifth bays framed by buttresses formed of the chimney flues that are united in a minor ornamental gable before rising through the gable ends as chimney stacks; arch-head mullion and transom windows in stone with recessed sash windows without glazing bars, leaded lights to upper sections of ground-floor windows. Entrance ground floor end bay right, 2-light arch-head openings to 3-bay loggia on north front (now glazed), marble pavement and panelled double doors. Left return (south front): Five bays with the same divided flues as buttresses rising to ornamental gables at eaves level. Similar fenestration but with central ground-floor window altered late-C20 to provide French window onto late-C20 balustrades balcony approached by flight of steps, and with balcony under-built to provide small basement extension. Gatepiers and walls: brick with stone dressings, cast-iron railings. Fronting east end of building and returned to entrance. Six gatepiers with ornamental caps in Gothic style and moulded plinths; substantial cast-iron railings set in dwarf wall with moulded coping.

INTERIOR: raised-and-fielded panels to part-glazed doors and dados, the former in decorative, eared, architraves; moulded pilasters with heavy corbels supporting cross beams with moulded soffits; decorative low-relief plasterwork to cornice friezes and to compartmental ceilings; wood-block floors; fireplaces with bolection-moulded red marble architraves; Art-nouveau style decorative-leaded lights with tinted glass to windows and some doors. Open-well stair has decorative-panelled metal balusters with sun motif, moulded wooden newels and handrail, and panelled dado; mullioned-and-transomed stair window with round-arched lights and decorative glazing.

Middleton, J., The Hove Club 1882 -1982.







Listing NGR: TQ2886004688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365527
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Middleton, J, The Hove Club 1882-1982

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Oct 2005
Reference: IOE01/14864/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril Selby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].