This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF COMPASSION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF COMPASSION

List entry Number: 1205487

Location

CHURCH OF OUR LADY OF COMPASSION, CASTLE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 370467

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SAFFRON WALDEN

TL5338 CASTLE STREET 669-1/1/90 (South side) 28/11/51 Church of Our Lady of Compassion (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET Roman Catholic Church)

II

Stable, now church. C18, largely rebuilt 1907. Timber-framed, weatherboarded, rendered plinth. Half hipped main roof and baptistery roof have red clay plain tiles, aisle and vestry slated. Old brick walls incorporated at NW corner. 5 bays, E bay now vestry, formerly 2 storeys, floor now removed. Open timber cupola with leaded ogee roof and decorative iron finial. C20 internal stack to E end. S aisle, baptistery to W end, brick porch of 1907; E extension with monopitch roof later C20. Queen post roof. Frame with jowled posts, straight through braces; much altered, partly missing. Plaster infill. Later ceiling at collar level. Range of three 2-light timber casement clerestory windows with leaded lights to S, that to E with cross casement. Similar 2-light casement to N. Later C20 casements elsewhere. Formerly the stables of The Close (qv), converted to a RC church in 1907.

Listing NGR: TL5366238626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 53662 38626

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 10:26:17.

End of official listing