This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1205636



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tewkesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Jul-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 376689

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SO8932 CHURCH STREET 859-1/6/109 (South side) 27/07/73 No.51 National School


Former school, now offices. Founded 1813, built 1817, enlarged 1842. Limestone ashlar, slate hipped roof behind parapet. Tudor Gothic style. Lofty free-standing rectangular block in 2 storeys, 3x4-windowed, all 2-light stone recessed chamfered-mullion and transom casements to flush surrounds under stopped drip courses. Front to Church Street has centre bay slightly brought forward, with pair of plank doors on 4 sandstone steps in 4-centred arch with stopped drip and decorative spandrels. Above this is raised commemorative panel under stopped drip, inscribed: NATIONAL SCHOOL FOUNDED 1813 ENLARGED 1842. Plinth, enriched coved cornice with florets and 2 gargoyles, blocking course and saddle back parapet. Side to Abbey Churchyard similar, no door; left return, to alley, in rough coursed squared stone, 5 scattered windows without enrichment. Far left is 6-panel flush beaded door to segmental voussoirs, on 1 sandstone step. Back partly concealed by timber-framed 1842 extension has 2 windows visible at first floor. INTERIOR not inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building is in part on the site of the former detached belfry to the Abbey (demolished in 1816) and completed at a cost of ยป1345.8.3. Bennett (The History of Tewkesbury, 1830) describes it as ".. a very neat and substantial structure ..".

Listing NGR: SO8903932498

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bennett, J, The History of Tewkesbury, (1830)

National Grid Reference: SO 89039 32498


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205636 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:27:27.

End of official listing