Oakley Hall and pair of sphinxes framing east entrance

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1205760
Date first listed:
02-Dec-1952
Statutory Address:
Oakley Hall, Oakley, Market Drayton, TF9 4AG

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205760.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2020 at 08:00:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
Oakley Hall, Oakley, Market Drayton, TF9 4AG

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Loggerheads
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70134 36943

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/04/2020

SJ 73 NW LOGGERHEADS C.P OAKLEY MUCKLESTONE 8/123 Oakley Hall and pair of sphinxes framing east entrance

2/12/52 GV II*

Country house. 1710 (datestone on north wall) with later additions and alterations. Built for Sir John Chetwode. Red brick on sandstone plinth with ashlar and rusticated dressings; slate roofs, orange-brown brick ridge stacks re-built in late C20. Two storeys over cellars; flat stone string course, moulded eaves cornice and parapet. East front: is entrance front; symmetrical of eleven bays arranged a-b-c-b-a; the two end bays projecting slightly; rusticated quoin strips to corners and ashlar-faced centre flanked by two giant pilasters with Corinthian capitals; windows all glazing bar sashes in moulded stone surrounds with projecting keystones, mid-window also with grotesque lion's head above and swags of garlands and bottom volutes to sides; central doorway with segmental pediment on console brackets, six-panel double door with delicately wreathed metal fanlight; balustrade above parapet with plain early C20 pediment, decorated with festooned garlands, to centre (the original pediment was curvaceous with shaped finials). North front: in seven bays with three-window bow (early C19) to centre of ground floor. West front: three:three:three bays; central section slightly projecting and with a full-height three-window bow under conical roof (note the turned balusters below the first floor windows and the console brackets to the central one). Plain south front in four bays with a four-bay colonnaded verandah (reconstructed as a conservatory in late C20) attached to south-west corner. Interior: considerably altered in early 1970's, the chief items of interest are now the early C18 staircase with its turned balusters and a plastered ceiling and frieze (c.1800) to the ground floor of the two-storied bow on west side; this room also has a good fireplace (again of c.1800) and shutters to the windows, as have those to the single-storied bow on north. Two sphinx-like figures with female heads and cast iron lamps behind flank the main entrance. A ha-ha with drystone wall approximately 1.2m high lies about 60m to the east and lies within the curtilage.

Listing NGR: SJ7013436943

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362605
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 214-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04622/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Shenton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].