MORLEY ALMSHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1205956
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
MORLEY ALMSHOUSES, MORLEY ALMSHOUSES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of MORLEY ALMSHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1205956 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 15:44:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
MORLEY ALMSHOUSES, MORLEY ALMSHOUSES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Erewash (District Authority)
Parish:
Morley
National Grid Reference:
SK 38656 41301

Details

PARISH OF MORLEY MORLEY ALMSHOUSES SK 34 SE LANE 1/85 (North Side) 2.9.52 Morley Almshouses (formerly listed as Almshouses on the Moor) II

Terrace of six almshouses. Founded by and built for Jacynth Sacheverell in 1656. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. Plain tile roof, chamfered stone coped gables and three brick stacks just off the ridge. Single storey. Symmetrical south elevation of twelve bays. Central gable. Two doorways each with chamfered stone lintel and sills and plank door. Large aedicule above with Ionic pilasters and broken pediment, enclosing the Sacheverell coat of arms. Square sundial above the pediment. To the right a 2-light, two single light and a 2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned windows. Then two doorways with chamfered lintels and sills and plank doors, and a further 2-light and single recessed and chamfered mullion windows. Doorways and windows to the left of the gable, mirroring those to the right, to make the composition symmetrical.

Listing NGR: SK3865641301

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
352288
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16157/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr P. J. Nicholson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].