PARKER'S FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206115

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1965

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: PARKER'S FARMHOUSE, COW HILL LANE, RISHTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARKER'S FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206115 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:19:52.

Location

Statutory Address: PARKER'S FARMHOUSE, COW HILL LANE, RISHTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 72002 28961

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 72 NW 4/101

RISHTON COW HILL LANE Parker's Farmhouse

(Formerly listed under Cowhill Fold, Blackburn Road)

25.6.1965 GV II* Farmhouse probably c.1600, part altered, now unoccupied. Thin coursed sandstone (part rendered), stone slate roof with brick chimney on ridge at junction of second and third bays, large projecting chimney stack at left gable. Unusually complete example of three-bay baffle-entry two-storey house with two-storey gabled porch, and outshut stair turret at rear. Double-chamfered stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds (most now blocked). Porch at junction of second and third bays has studded board door with fleur-de-lys hinges, in Tudor-arched doorway with moulded surround and large lintel enclosed by a hoodmould, and hollow-moulded coping with kneelers and seating for finials (missing). To left, a 14-light mullion and transom window in the middle bay, and three five-light windows; to right, third bay is rendered, has garage entrance at ground floor and old blocked four-light window above. Left end wall has damaged render, extruded chimney stack with offsets at gable level, and a simple two-light window; right end has blocked Tudor-arched doorway and five-light first floor window.

Rear: stair turret at junction of first and second bays has two three-light windows, there are similar windows of five and four lights at ground floor, and of two, two and four lights at first floor; and a small firelight window at junction of second and third bays. (Large later outshut to first bay.)

Interior: second and third bays divided by stone cross-wall, which has original stone firehood to full height of second bay, and remains of timber firehood in third bay; hall part in second bay has at upper end a very large rectangular inglenook with stone heck, at lower end a timber-framed partition with wattle-and-daub infill and two slightly-arched service doorways, and at the back a studded board door to stair turret which contains stone stairs turning round a stone newel; upper floor has timber-framed axial and longitudinal partition walls which appear later.

History: home of Hindle family, yeomen and chapmen (linen trade) in C16, and of Rev. Christopher Hindle, C17 vicar of Ribchester (Ainsworth Homesteads pp.349-55).

Listing NGR: SD7200228961

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 183904

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ainsworth, R, The Old Homesteads of Accrington and District, (1928), 349-55

End of official listing