FORMER WESLEYAN SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206158
Date first listed:
11-Dec-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jul-1993
Statutory Address:
FORMER WESLEYAN SCHOOL, UNION PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WESLEYAN SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206158 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 08:27:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER WESLEYAN SCHOOL, UNION PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Truro
National Grid Reference:
SW 82604 45020

Details

TRURO

880-1/4/302 UNION PLACE 11-DEC-85 TRURO (North side) Former Wesleyan School (Formerly listed as: UNION PLACE TRURO CHURCH HOUSE OF ST MARY'S METHODIST CH URCH)

II St Mary's Wesleyan school opened in 1887 by Mr Samuel Pascoe, J.P., designed by Silvanus Trevail, with masonry by Mr John Farley, and carpentry by Mr W.J. Tippet. Following closure of the school the building was converted into the Church House of St Mary's Methodist Church. A classical style, 2 storeyed dressed granite front and slate roof with pediment to front and hip to rear. Plaque and datestone attached to building. The building has a rectangular plan with roof ventilators and brick lateral stack on right. 1:3:1-bay front. Plinth, sill string and moulded and dentilled cornices;triangular pediment, with oculus, over 3 stepped lights of central bays. Round keyed arches over doorways to left and right and over first-floor windows with glazing bars and margin lights; squat 2-centred arches over 3 ground-floor windows and inscribed plaque over sill string. Rear is of 1:3:1-bays and rendered; extended to ground floor. INTERIOR not inspected.

Sources West Briton 28th November 1887

Listing NGR: SW8260945013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
377613
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15874/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].