This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 37 AND 39 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 37 AND 39 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS

List entry Number: 1206250

Location

NUMBERS 37 AND 39 AND ATTACHED FRONT GARDEN WALLS AND PIERS, 37 AND 39, DOWNLEAZE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Bristol

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 379515

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5675 DOWNLEAZE, Sneyd Park 901-1/31/1795 (North West side) Nos.37 AND 39 and attached front garden walls and piers

GV II

Pair of attached houses. c1896. By Henry Dare Bryan. Snecked Lias rubble with limestone dressings, tile-hung second floor, brick ridge and diagonally-set gable stacks and tile hip and gable roof. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 3 storeys; 2-window range. A symmetrical pair with the entrances in the sides, central paired full-height bays and large dormers above, and stone-framed ground-floor windows. Carved doorcases have grotesque faces flanking mullion overlights, below acanthus brackets to a large shell hood, and an elliptical-arched battened 2-leaf door. Ground-floor mullion and transom windows, first-floor timber plate-glass casements with glazing bars above the transoms. Outer ground-floor windows have 3-lights, below a balcony with railings and turned posts to an elliptical arch supporting the overhanging eaves; in the wall behind are casements flanking glazed door; canted central bays are separated by a buttress, above are large, paired, half-timbered dormers with 4-light casement windows. The front pitch of the roof extends sideways to cover small oriels at either end beneath the gable eaves. The rear elevation is flat with semicircular-arched stair lights and a single-storey service block. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front garden walls and piers with ball finials. Strongly influencd by Norman Shaw's Bedford Park, 1881.

Listing NGR: ST5650975140

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 56509 75140

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206250 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:47:31.

End of official listing