ST ANNE'S CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206258
Date first listed:
10-Sep-1971
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Nov-1992
Statutory Address:
ST ANNE'S CONVENT, LANSDOWNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST ANNE'S CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206258 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:31:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST ANNE'S CONVENT, LANSDOWNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29998 04754

Details

HOVE

TQ2904NE LANSDOWNE ROAD 579-1/19/87 (North side) 10/09/71 St Anne's Convent (Formerly Listed as: LANSDOWNE ROAD St Anne's Childrens Home)

GV II

Villa, now convent. Early C19, enlarged c1900, refenestrated early-mid C20. Render over brick, brick additions, hipped slate roof to original house, clay tiles to additions. Plan: original square block, entered on the north front, now entered on the west at the junction with additions to north. South front: 2 storeys over basement, 3 bays, moulded cornice, flat string course, moulded surrounds to window openings, first floor mullioned and transomed wooden casements, ground floor pivoted upper lights and fixed lower lights, blind boxes surviving. West front of 3:2:1:3 bays, end 4 bays right are the original building, late C19 gabled wooden porch in fourth bay right approached by flight of steps with solid balustrade returned as bottle balustrade around south front of property. Interior partly inspected. Greek Revival style frieze and capitals to stair hall entrance, cantilever stair with pretty cast-iron balusters of a stylised wheatsheaf design, coved ceiling with 3 paterae beyond; the 3 bays of the south front are now occupied by the chapel (not inspected). Built as Wick Lodge, the house was surrounded by a verandah on the south and west fronts as shown on the 1877 OS map; the additions to north are shown on the 1909 OS map when the building was then known as St Michael's Hall and was, according to the street directories, a school for ladies. Later it became Claremont School, and c1947 became a children's home in the care of the sisters of the Poor Servants of the Mother of God; it is now a day centre, with accommodation for homeless women.

Listing NGR: TQ2999804754

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365581
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].