MAER HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206392
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1964
Date of most recent amendment:
14-May-1985
Statutory Address:
MAER HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAER HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206392.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 07:16:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
MAER HALL AND ATTACHED GARDEN WALL TO SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Newcastle-under-Lyme (District Authority)
Parish:
Maer
National Grid Reference:
SJ 79207 38332

Details

SJ 73 NE MAER

408/9/97 Maer Hall and attached garden Wall to south (formerly listed 30.07.64 As Maer Hall)

GV II

Country house and garden wall. House: mid-C17, considerably altered and extended mid-to-late C19 with the addition of wings by W. Culshaw and later J. Francis Doyle of Liverpool, although now again reduced to its original size. Mainly yellow sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, stone slate roofs; the only original stonework is to the cellars (red sandstone on east side), which also retain their original mullioned openings. C19 work in Jacobean style. 2 and 3 storeys over cellars. West garden front: 2 storeys with 3 shaped full dormers surmounted by globe finials above moulded eaves cornice; 1:1:1:1:1 bays, windows all mullioned and transomed, those to left and right dormers with stepped lights; central 2-storeyed porch with round-headed doorway and applied Doric columns, changing above to Ionic order; openwork balustrade to top carried around eaves, connecting dormers; 2 sandstone ashlar stacks behind ridge with paired rebated shafts. North front: 1:1:1 bays, again with mullioned and transomed windows and shaped gabled dormers; mid-C20 central single-storeyed porch with applied columns above. East front: 2 storeys and attic storey plus a further lit roof space; 1:1:1:1 bays, also with mullioned and transomed windows but with 3 plain gables to attic storey, incorporating upper gable lights. Late C19 flat-roofed porch (probably owing its present appearance to the reduction of the Victorian work) against south side with a coped stone garden wall attached to south. Interior: not inspected, but said to have been considerably altered in 1960's when many of the Victorian fittings were removed. NOTE: Maer Hall was the home of Josiah Wedgwood the younger from 1804 to 1843. Josiah Wedgwood the elder's daughter Susannah was the the mother of Charles Darwin, who married his cousin Emma Wedgwood in 1839. Charles Darwin was a frequent visiter to Maer Hall, where he is reputed to have made some of his early geological and botanical studies. Maer Hall was also the home of F.J. Harrison, the Liverpool ship owner, in late C19, and it was for him that Doyle extended the hall. B.O.E., p. 201.

Listing NGR: SJ7920738332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
362707
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 201
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 38 Staffordshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].