13, MARKET HILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206592

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994

Statutory Address: 13, MARKET HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of 13, MARKET HILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 20:47:28.

Location

Statutory Address: 13, MARKET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 53822 38567

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SAFFRON WALDEN

TL5338 MARKET HILL 669-1/1/277 (West side) 01/11/72 No.13 (Formerly Listed as: MARKET HILL Nos.13 AND 15)

GV II

Commercial premises. 1864. Grey gault brick, slate roof, red brick stack. Plan irregular L shape of street range and rear additions. 2 storeys and cellar. Front E elevation: on hill, falling to S, brickwork tuck pointed, deep eaves with modillions, stack at S end. 4 first floor windows all with stucco voussoirs, sashes with glazing bars, 4x4 panes. Doorway, bay 2 from N, Doric fluted jambs and triglyph frieze under shallow cornice hood, doorcase with fielded panels, over-light with decorative glazing bars, door of 6 moulded panels. C20 shop window each side of door, cornice with simple fascia board, 3 large panes. Tapered plinth with cellar grille at S end. Rear, W elevation: irregular additions. 3 first floor window range, segment headed sashes with glazing bars, 3x4 panes, also small C20 casement. Ground floor, W-N, segment headed French window 4x4 panes, and felt roofed lean-to with C19 casement window. Recess in house under high wide timber lintel (considered to have once been a carriageway to rear) contains 2 windows, one 2-light casement and one partly obscured sash 3x4 panes. In front, felt-roofed lean-to with simple C20 window and door and, adjoining, red brick lean-to against garden wall to W with C19 3x2 paned casement window and, at W end, C19 segment headed doorway of 4 panels, upper moulded, lower flush. Also, small 2-light casement window. 2 S bays, rear house wall, deep 2-storey slated lean-to with 2 flat roofed dormer windows behind, 2-light casements 4x3 panes, sky-light between. 2 red brickstacks at S end. N end bay, roof slated, as subsidiary gable with stack shared with No.15 (qv). INTERIOR: original stair with recessed panelled square newel posts, turned balusters, stair window with panelled shutters. Original 6 panelled rear door. Cellar with brick and flint walling in 2 sections with brick arch between and wall triple arched at S end. Window to cellar, sliding sash 6x2 panes, rear ground floor room has a large round headed safe considered to date from the first build when the building was Gibson's Bank, before the new bank in Market Place was built 1874 (qv). The building became the post office in 1881.

Listing NGR: TL5382238567

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 370662

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing