QUERNS HOUSE AT CIRENCESTER HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206631

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: 24-May-1993

Statutory Address: QUERNS HOUSE AT CIRENCESTER HOSPITAL, TETBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUERNS HOUSE AT CIRENCESTER HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:01:14.

Location

Statutory Address: QUERNS HOUSE AT CIRENCESTER HOSPITAL, TETBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold (District Authority)

Parish: Cirencester

National Grid Reference: SP0179501520

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CIRENCESTER

SP0101 TETBURY ROAD 578-1/5/299 (South East side) 14/06/48 Querns House at Cirencester Hospital (Formerly Listed as: TETBURY ROAD The Querns (house))

II

House, now part of Cirencester Hospital. Dated 1825, later C19 additions in similar style; C19 and C20 internal alterations. By PF Robinson for Charles Lawrence. Coursed squared limestone; artificial stone slate roofs with coped verges, corbelled-out kneelers at gables; stone ridge and end stacks to front range now truncated, 5 groups of octagonal ashlar flues in pairs and threes on ridges, at ends and laterally to rear elevation. Tudor style; irregular plan and fenestration. Entrance front has 2 gables; 2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. First floor has five 2- and 3-light double-chamfered stone mullion windows, 2 to centre and left with hoodmoulds, similar single-light window to right and 2-light window to centre have diamond-pane cast-iron casements, one small C20 window to centre. Similar single-light window with hoodmould with diamond-pane casement in gable to centre. Ground floor as 3 single-light windows with double-chamfered stone transoms with hoodmoulds to right and flanking porch, two 3- and one 5-light double-chamfered stone-mullion windows, to centre and left with hoodmoulds and largely retaining diamond-pane casements. Gabled porch to centre right has boarded door with 4-centred arched head divided into vertical panels by applied moulding with decorative strap hinges in chamfered stone surround with hoodmould with carved stops. Datestone in gable of porch has date in relief 1825. One raking dormer with 2-light diamond casement. Shallow chamfered plinth, weathered band course below ground floor window to gabled bay to centre. Single-storey range attached to left, gable facing, has truncated external stack on facing gable end. Garden front, formerly principal elevation, has 1825 range to left with later wing set back to right. 1825 range has one gable breaking forward to centre, 3 gablets. 2-storey, 4-window range. First floor has 4-light canted oriel with moulded base and embattled parapet to centre, two 3-light double chamfered stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds, 2-storey bay to left has 3-light window to front, single-light windows to sides, to first floor. Ground floor has 5-light double-chamfered stone mullion-and-transom window with hoodmould to centre, flanked by 2 single-storey canted bays with parapets with 3-light double-chamfered stone mullion and transom windows to centre, single-light windows to sides, bay to left has similar window to first floor. Chamfered plinth; weathered cill band to ground floor of gabled portion to centre; chamfered slit windows in gablets; shield and motto in recessed panel with hoodmould in gable to centre, coping to gable has trefoil stop and base of former finial at apex. Later wing to right in similar but plainer style has scattered fenestration of chamfered and double-chamfered 2- and 3-light stone mullion windows, some with hoodmoulds. INTERIOR much altered for hospital use; former entrance hall has pair of doors from porch, probably late C19, half-glazed with leaded lights and perpendicular tracery, room to right of hall has C19 stone chimneypiece to splayed corner of room formerly with large Tudor-arched opening into hall; similar opening to rear of hall into corridor; room opposite to rear has oak panelling and chimneypiece with overmantel, probably early C20. Hall to left has early C19 moulded architraves to door openings with panelled reveals with 4-centred arch heads to panels, room to rear left has late enriched moulded oak chimneypiece, 9-pane half-glazed door leading to outside. (The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds: London: 1970-: P.183; Welsford J: Cirencester: A History and Guide: Gloucester: 1987-: PP.122-3).

Listing NGR: SP0179501520

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 365437

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970), 183
Welsford, J, Cirencester a History and Guide, (1987), 122-3

End of official listing