This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1206705

Location

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, 51 AND 53, THOMAS STREET, GL7 2BA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cirencester

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: 24-May-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/11/2016

SP 0202, 578-1/4/317

CIRENCESTER, THOMAS STREET (south side), Nos. 51 and 53, Friends Meeting House

(Formerly Listed as: THOMAS STREET (South side) No. 51)

(Previously listed as: THOMAS STREET (South side) Friends Meeting House)

14.06.48

G.V.

II*

Quaker meeting house and attached house. 1673 with major alterations and extension 1809-1811, porch and minor rooms added 1865; house early C19 with later alterations. Meeting house is coursed squared limestone rubble, 1865 addition in coursed squared limestone; stone slate roof, corrugated asbestos on 1865 lean-to extension; external stack to left end now closed off. House is coursed squared limestone; Welsh slate hipped parapeted roof, with hip facing street; brick ridge stack and stone lateral stack to right. Meeting house is range of 2 meeting rooms parallel to and set back from street; earlier portion to left is larger and includes central through-passage. Porch and minor rooms added 1865 as lean-to on street front. House to left occupied by caretaker is linked internally to meeting house at ground floor and attic. Meeting house range is single-storey and attic, 3-windows. Porch extension has three 2/2-pane sashes in round-headed openings with chamfered reveals in flat stone surrounds, pair of 4-panel doors with simple fanlight to left in similar surround. Windows and door linked by unmoulded impost band; low parapet and coping with raised portion to centre with flanking brackets with incised lettering FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE. Pair of part-glazed 6-panel doors to far right into 1810 range. Rear elevation to garden has 5 early C19 round-headed sash windows with intersecting tracery; dated 1673 and 1810 on lintels of doorways.

INTERIOR has central stone-flagged passage flanked by screens formed of 4 tiers of early C19 deal shutters hung as sash windows with pilasters between forming sash boxes, capable of being raised above ceiling height to remove partition entirely except pilasters. Room to left has stone-flagged floor and 4 timber Doric columns supporting beams with step-stopped chamfers. Coved ceiling. Early C19 fittings include panelling to approximately 2m, benches around walls and freestanding stand with panelled front and two entrances with balustraded handrails. Room to right of passage has similar panelling, gallery with front closed off 1989. Former meeting room in left attic approached via staircase in warden's house has early C19 benches, and C18/early C19 chimneypiece. This room formerly continued over present through-passage, now shortened by early C19 partitions. Roof structure concealed by 3 panelled arches, probably C18, one now beyond partition.

Warden's house to left is 2-storey one-window range. First floor has one 8/8-pane sash in plain reveal; ground floor has one similar window. 6-panel door with top 2 panels glazed has simple fanlight in round-headed plain reveal to right. Plat band over ground floor; unmoulded string over first floor; coped parapet. Interior partially inspected; blocked 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullion window of 1673 meeting house in ground floor rear left.

Quakerism in Cirencester dates back to at least 1660; a lease of this site obtained 1673. Regular meetings ceased 1922, resumed 1949 and still continued. No.51 Thomas Street was listed 23.7.71.

(Sources: Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Stell C: Gloucestershire: RCHME: 1986-: P.80; Cirencester Museum Historical/Listed Building Record).

Listing NGR: SP0207902243

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP0207902243

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206705 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:29:17.

End of official listing