CASTLE CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206866
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
CASTLE CHAMBERS, UNION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:01:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE CHAMBERS, UNION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91193 64433

Details

TORQUAY

SX9164 UNION STREET 885-1/14/284 (North East side) 10/01/75 Castle Chambers (Formerly Listed as: UPPER UNION STREET Castle Chambers)

GV II

Hospital, now used as County court. 1850 in origin, brought "up to date" 1892-93, contractor Joshua Chubb of Torquay (Ellis, p.438), architect unknown to date. Snecked local grey limestone with Bathstone and limestone ashlar dressings; gabled slate roofs; stacks with stone shafts with moulded cornices. Tudor style with Perpendicular arches. PLAN: Deep, approximately rectangular plan with a rear yard bounded by smaller buildings including a former mortuary, now in commercial use. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic, rear elevation 4 storeys and attic Almost symmetrical 7-bay front, the centre bay a machicolated tower, broken forward and crowned by an octagonal bell turret with spire. 3 coped gabled bays with kneelers, of various heights, to right and left, the outer bays broken forward. Stone mullioned windows throughout, mostly with transoms and dripmoulds with carved label stops. Projecting single-storey embattled porch with a coped gable in the centre with angle butresses with batters with a moulded-arched outer doorway with carved spandrels and a square-headed dripmould with carved label stops. 2-leaf door with blind tracery; moulded arched inner doors. First-floor canted bay window above the porch; pair of arched traceried 3rd floor windows with transoms and dripmoulds. Tudor-arched doorway in first bay from left with dripmould and carved label stops. Bell turret has trefoil-headed louvred openings below a lead spine with lucarnes and an iron finial. Rear elevation incorporates small lancet style mortuary. INTERIOR: Not inspected but may retain features of interest. Ellis gives a full history of the funding of the various stages of the building and the local philanthropists involved, pp.437-440. A new hospital was built on a different site in 1924. (Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition: 1930-: P.438).

Listing NGR: SX9119364433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390866
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ellis, A, A Historical Survey of Torquay, (1930), 438

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11858/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].