QUEEN ALEXANDRA BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207052
Date first listed:
04-May-1984
Statutory Address:
QUEEN ALEXANDRA BRIDGE, A1231

Map

Ordnance survey map of QUEEN ALEXANDRA BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207052 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:27:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN ALEXANDRA BRIDGE, A1231

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Park:
N/A
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38182 57842

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3857 A 1231 920-1/10/3 Queen Alexandra Bridge 04/05/84

II

Double deck road/rail bridge, with approach rail viaduct to N, over River Wear. 1907-9. Designed by Charles A Harrison. For the North Eastern Railway and Sunderland Corporation. Approaches (completed 1907) built by Mitchell Bros. of Glasgow; bridge built by Sir William Arroll & Co. Principal materials are Norwegian rock-faced granite footings, abutments and piers; Dumfries red sandstone approach viaduct; steel superstructure. Box-girder construction of close-set lattice work. Main river span is hog-back, 330 feet long; land spans, one to S and 2 to N, 200 feet long. Rail deck carried on cross girders riveted to steel columns and tied longitudinally at road level by 4-feet-high lattice girders which act as handrails to footpaths, and at rail level by both longitudinal and overhead transverse girders. 5 arches, one blocked, survive of the approach rail viaduct to the N. The last train to cross the bridge was in 1921; the railway tracks were removed before World War II. Having been built for coal traffic, the metal spans are believed to be of the heaviest construction in the country. (Proceedings of the Institute of Civil Engineers: paper 3824: Buscarlet and Hunter: The Queen Alexandra Bridge over the River Wear, Sunderland: 1910-: 59).

Listing NGR: NZ3818257842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391377
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers' in Minutes of the Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers, , Vol. 3824, (1910), 59

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].