ST IGNATIUS PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207328
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1991
Statutory Address:
ST IGNATIUS PRESBYTERY, ST IGNATIUS SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST IGNATIUS PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207328.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 07:52:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST IGNATIUS PRESBYTERY, ST IGNATIUS SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 54150 29952

Details

PRESTON

SD5429NW ST IGNATIUS SQUARE 941-1/10/258 St Ignatius Presbytery

GV II

Presbytery to church of St Ignatius. c.1835-40 (probably by J.J.Scoles), with addition dated 1878 on gable. Red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Irregular plan formed by original rectangular double-depth range (now attached to enlarged chancel of church), with added crosswing and further side range to left. Tudor style. All 2 storeys, with octagonal corner turrets, a string-course over the 1st-floor windows, and parapet with stone coping. The main range (the original building), a 3-window symmetrical facade, has a central porch with coupled corner pilasters, Tudor-arched outer doorway and Tudor-arched single-light windows in the side walls, embattled parapet and glazed roof; Tudor-arched 2-light mullioned windows with stone surrounds; and similar windows in the right-hand gable wall, plus an added canted bay in matching style. The wing projecting to the left is in matching style, with one window on each floor of each side and an arched tympanum in the gable with letters "IHS" in a radiant sun and date 1878 in the corners; and the 2-window range set back to the left of this has an inserted garage entry but otherwise matching windows. Rear very plain. INTERIOR not inspected. Forms group with with attached school in matching style, and with church (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5415029952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392150
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07795/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ian Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].