THE ANCIENT PRIORS (MINTERS RESTAURANT A LOUIS COIFFEUR)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1207420

Date first listed: 21-Jun-1948

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Feb-1983

Statutory Address: THE ANCIENT PRIORS (MINTERS RESTAURANT A LOUIS COIFFEUR), 49 AND 51, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ANCIENT PRIORS (MINTERS RESTAURANT A LOUIS COIFFEUR)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207420 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:29:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ANCIENT PRIORS (MINTERS RESTAURANT A LOUIS COIFFEUR), 49 AND 51, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: West Sussex

District: Crawley (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26788 36580

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5403 (east side) No 49 and No 51 The Ancient Priors (Minters Restaurant A Louis Coiffeur) (formerly listed as No 47, The Square) TQ 2636 NE 5/24 21.6.48 II* GV 2. Timber-framed hall-house of circa 1450 with L-wing added circa 1530 and modern brick wing later. Restored in 1927. Two storeys timber-framed with Horsham slab roof. Four bays. Front elevation has projecting first floors on brackets with gables above with decorative curved braces. Front elevation mainly close-studded. Side elevation square framing. Modern casement windows but blocked original window openings remain. Later shopfronts. Doorcase has a flat arch with shield in spandrels. On one of these is a crown of antique shape, 2 fleur de lys seen sideways, a third in the middle and a leaf between. The hall runs north to south with a solar and chamber beneath it either end. The hall is 23ft long of 2 bays, each about 10ft long. Open timber roof with cambered tie beam, arch-braced collar beam, moulded wall plates and curved mid-braces. A chimney and floor were inserted in the C16. Two C16 stone fireplaces in the ground and first floor rooms at the north end. A 2-storey wing, probably a kitchen wing of about 1530 projects eastward from the south end. Two staircases, are hung a heavy Jacobean rail with turned balusters. A complete and well-preserved example of a C15 hall-house. This may have been the Pre-Reformation Priest's house. Reputed connexions with smuggling. (See V C H Sussex vii 144. Sussex Archaeological Collections Vol LV (1912) pp 12-16).

Listing NGR: TQ2678836580

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 363347

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Saltzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Sussex, (1940)
'Sussex Archaeological Collections' in Sussex Archaeological Collections, , Vol. 55, (1912), 12-16

End of official listing