RANBY HOUSE SCHOOL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- RANBY HOUSE SCHOOL, STRAIGHT MILE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207423 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:12:17.
- Statutory Address:
- RANBY HOUSE SCHOOL, STRAIGHT MILE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Bassetlaw (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 65619 81037
SK 68 SE BABWORTH STRAIGHT MILE
6/18 Ranby House School
School, formerly country house. Mid and late C18 core, but in the main c191O with later C20 additions. Red brick and red sandstone with some yellow brick. Slate roofs, hipped to the C18 part. The c191O additions are set on a plinth with chamfered stone band over. T-plan. The south c191O front of 2 1/2 storeys and 3 gabled bays has stone coped gable and kneelers, with single red brick ridge and right gable stacks, 1st and 2nd floor moulded stone bands and stone quoins. The outer bays slightly project. Central single storey bay window with 4 casements to the front and stone transom mullions. The lights above the transom have small lead panes. There is a stone parapet. Flanked by similar single, 2 storey bay windows. Above the central bay is a single 3-light stone transom and mullion casement with small lead panes above the transom and stone quoin surround. On the top floor is a central sundial flanked by single 3-light mullion fixed lights with lozenge shaped lead panes, stone quoin surrounds and Tudor style hoodmoulds. West side C18 and c,1910. 2 and 2 1/2 storeys, 10 bays. Stone coped gables with kneelers. The recessed 2 1/2 storey left 5 bays being part of the C18 front with dentillated eaves and 1st and 2nd floor bands. Between the gable of the south front and the left gable runs an embattled parapet hiding the roof line. There are 4 yellow brick stacks, a single red brick stack and a red brick projecting stack to the front with a further red leading to yellow brick stack in the re- entrant angle between the earlier and later wings. The projecting gable end of the south wing has a 2-light stone mullion casement, with small lead panes, stone quoin surround and hoodmould, to the left is a slightly projecting single storey bay window with stone transom and mullions, shaped lead panes and brick and stone parapet. Further left is the projecting single storey 3 bay porch with brick and stone parapet, having from right to left 2 2-light stone mullion windows with small lead panes and stone quoin surrounds and a single doorway with double wooden door and similar surround, over is a hoodmould extending to a band. The recessed C18 wing has from right to left a single glazing bar sash under segmental arch, a doorway with wooden door and projecting pediment supported on brackets and pillars, a single glazing bar sash under a segmental arch and 2 C20 fixed lights, the left one under a segmental arch. Above in the south gable is a 3-light stone transom and mullion casement with small lead panes above the transom, stone quoin surround and hoodmould. To the left are 5 2-light stone transom and mullion casements, with small lead panes above the transoms and stone quoin surrounds. The left 2 are slightly smaller and are set into a slightly projecting gabled bay. Above is a shaped panel, below is an overlight to the inner porch door with single stone mullion, shaped lead panes and stone quoin surround. The C18 wing has 3 glazing bar sashes under segmental arches. In the top floor of the south gable is a 2 light casement with single stone mullion, lozenge shaped lead panes, stone quoin surround and hoodmould. In the C18 wing is a central glazing bar sash with a similar, larger sash to the right and a glazed fire door to the left, all under segmental arches. There is a fire escape leading from the fire door, with a further fire escape above the single bay window. The east front c.1910 part has 2 storeys and 3 bays, with a 1st floor stone band. The C18 part is of the same height but has 2 1/2 storeys and 5 bays with a later 2 bay extension to the right, dentilated eaves and 1st and 2nd floor bands. At the c,1910 gable ends are single stacks with a further 4 to the C18 part. The c,1910 part has 2 doorways with glazed double doors, stone quoin surround and hoodmould, to the right a bow window with stone transom and mullions with small lead panes above the transom and stone parapet. Above is a central 3-light oriel window with stone transom and mullions, small lead panes above the transom and embattled parapet. To the left are 2 2-light stone transom and mullion casements with small lead panes above the transom, stone quoin surrounds and hoodmoulds. To the right are 2 similar, larger, casements. The C18 part, with remnants of rendering, retains its tall arched Gothick glazing bar stair light and to the left a yellow brick bow window surmounted by a smaller bow window, both with glazing bar sashes. The small bow with fire escape. Other openings are various sashes and casements, a C20 wooden extension extends from the right. Interior has a oak panelled hall. In the drawing room is a late C18 fireplace flanked by single Ionic pilasters. On the 1st floor is an oak panelled room with fitted cupboards by Thompson of Kilburn. Inscribed above the door is 'Anno Domini 1933 A.E.B.'
Listing NGR: SK6561981037
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.