42, OLD MARKET STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207506
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
42, OLD MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 42, OLD MARKET STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207506 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 22:57:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
42, OLD MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 59726 73209

Details

BRISTOL

ST5973SE OLD MARKET STREET, Old Market 901-1/12/1645 (North side) 08/01/59 No.42 (Formerly Listed as: OLD MARKET STREET (North side) Nos.36-40, 40 AND 42 (Even))

GV II

House, now office. Early C18, restored c1980. Render with limestone dressings, a brick side stack and a pantile hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys; 3-window range. C18 shop front, rusticated pilasters to a deep modillion eaves cornice which returns at the ends. The fine early C19 shop front has two 8-pane bow windows either side of a 2-leaf door, with fluted timber pilasters to a dentil cornice which bows out above the doorway, narrow first-floor 6/6-pane sashes beneath raised pediments, segmental to the centre, and shorter, keyed second-floor 6/6-pane sashes, all in flush boxes. Hipped dormer with casements, to a roof with shallow sprocketed eaves. INTERIOR: largely remodelled c1980; rear ground-floor fireplace set in an ashlar niche, beside a cast-iron safe with fluted stone sides, and 2-leaf doors above. Truncated to 2 storeys by 1974, and restored c1980.

Listing NGR: ST5972673209

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
380052
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04526/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Tony Byram. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].