INGATESTONE HOUSE (SOUTH WEST PART)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207567
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
09-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
INGATESTONE HOUSE (SOUTH WEST PART), 126, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of INGATESTONE HOUSE (SOUTH WEST PART)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207567 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:35:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
INGATESTONE HOUSE (SOUTH WEST PART), 126, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
Parish:
Ingatestone and Fryerning
National Grid Reference:
TQ 64844 99427

Details

INGATESTONE AND FRYERNING TQ6499 HIGH STREET, Ingatestone 723-1/14/394 (North West side) 20/02/76 No.126 Ingatestone House (south-west part) (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD HIGH STREET, Ingatestone (North West side) No.126 (south-west part)

GV II

School, later house, now combined with house to NE. Early C19, extended in C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade redclay tiles. Rectangular main range facing SE with an external stack at each side. The right stack is enclosed in the front left corner of the house to right; the left stack is enclosed in a C19 single-storey service wing to left, with a slate roof, part of which has been extended to the rear to form a garage with rear access. 2 adjacent rear wings bonded together; the left rear wing has an internal stack at the end, and has been altered at the left so that this side of the roof is of lower pitch than the remainder, roofed with slate. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 2 original sashes of 6+6 lights with flat arches of gauged brick. First floor, 3 original sashes of 8+8 lights. All have painted reveals, some crown glass. Central doorway, blocked to form a fixed light of 12 panes and a single panel below, in simple pilastered and pedimented doorcase. Symmetrical elevation. Hipped roof. The left stack, where visible above the extension, has tumbling courses at the shoulders. Inscribed in the right return, about one metre above ground level, are the initials WC or WG and the date 1814. This is a likely position for the initials of the master mason and the date of construction. The left elevatlon of the left rear wing has on the ground floor one early C19 sash of 12+12 lights with a segmental brick arch; the casement of 6+6 lights above it may be early C19 also. The rear elevation has on the ground floor, at the junction of the parallel wings, one early C19 casement of 6+6 lights with a segmental brick arch, and on the first floor of the left rear wing a similar casement; both have stone sills. The rear elevation of the service range to left has a C19 casement of 12+12 lights with some handmade glass. The combined house is shown on the OS map as Nos 124 and 126. HISTORICAL NOTE:-a seminary for young ladies called Ingatestone House was opened here in 1815 by Mrs Harvey and Miss Buchanan. It was recorded as The Academy in 1843, occupied by John and Ann Tabrum. In 1851 there were 25 resident pupils, and in 1861 19 resident pupils aged 5-10 years. It was still Ingatestone House School in 1905, headmaster Thomas Watkins. (Kemble JVH: Survey of Ingatestone High Street: 1987-).

Listing NGR: TQ6484399427

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373679
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Kemble, G V H , Survey of Ingatetstone High Street, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00189/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Colleen Cole. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].