REGENT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207640
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
26 AND 28, ANLABY ROAD
Statutory Address:
REGENT HOUSE, 185, FERENSWAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of REGENT HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:40:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
26 AND 28, ANLABY ROAD
Statutory Address:
REGENT HOUSE, 185, FERENSWAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Kingston upon Hull (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TA 09293 28720

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 30/03/2017

680-1/21/25

KINGSTON UPON HULL ANLABY ROAD (North side) 26 AND 28 FERENSWAY,185 REGENT HOUSE

21-JAN-94 II Offices and shops. 1902 by John M Dossor of Hull, with interior remodelled in 1935 by WR Blanchard (when 183-175 Ferensway was rebuilt) and with other later minor C20 alterations. Brick, partly rendered, with ashlar dressings and slate roof. All windows at first floor and above are leaded casements or fixed lights. Ground floor shop fronts are later C20 alterations partially concealing a moulded cornice.

EXTERIOR: Designed to appear as three separate properties in origin but with architectural details carried throughout to unite the design:

The corner property (28 Anlaby Road/185 Ferensway) is in brick and features a corner entrance with a polygonal tower rising to 3 storeys, flanked by single 2 storey bays facing Ferensway to the left and Anlaby Road to the right. The tower has an octagonal slate roof topped with an ornamental weathervane; 3 wooden cross casements flanked by wooden Ionic columns to the second floor; three 2 light windows separated by similar ionic columns to the first floor with a deep, dentilated cornice above carried by two shaped brackets, this cornice supporting a slated canopy that extends from the sills of the windows above. In a similar manner there is a larger slated canopy that extends from the sills of the first floor windows to protect the entrance below; the canopy is supported by an ornamented bracket. The tower is flanked at first floor by octagonal brick pillars that extend through the cornice to form the end piers of ramped parapets above the 2 storey flanking bays. The pillars are topped by small stone griffins and behind the parapets there is a mansard roof with a single roof dormer with a flat lead roof. Below the parapets there is a moulded cornice with shallow corbels and each bay has a single, first floor casement window.

The property on Ferensway to the left, is, and always has been, part of the corner property, but in architectural terms it is expressed separately externally as a rendered 3 storey building with the gable end facing the road. The first floor has a 4 light shallow canted oriel window with a dentilated cornice above which continues the line of the corbelled cornices of the flanking properties. This cornice is slightly deeper and includes two brackets to support the slightly jettied second floor. The second floor has a 3 light window with a moulded drip mould. Above is a broken pediment supported by corbels forming the gable.

Internally, the property facing Anlaby Road (No. 26) is currently and historically separate at ground floor level, but integrated into the rest of the building above. Again in architectural terms it is expressed separately externally as a rendered 3 storey building with the gable end facing the road. The first floor features continuous glazing with cross casements set back slightly from an arcade of 5 square section Tuscan columns linked by ramped balustrades with stick balusters. Shallow arches span between the columns, with a bracket above each column supporting a deep, moulded and dentilated cornice supporting the slightly jettied second floor. At second floor there are three 2 light windows under a continuous moulded drip mould. Above is a broken pediment supported by corbels forming the gable. To the right towards the rear, there is a 5 flue brick stack.

INTERIOR: Apart from isolated later C20 alterations, interior details throughout Regents House appear to be consistent and are considered to date to the 1935 refit and rebuild.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The external exuberance of the architectural design and detailing of the surviving portion of the 1902 Regents House, designed to appear as three separate properties, is clearly of special interest as a good example of Edwardian commercial building. Although 183-175 Ferensway is all part of Regents House at upper levels, this section was rebuilt in 1935 in a much simplified style that is not of special interest in the national context, although its design does not unduly detract from the earlier surviving part.

Listing NGR: TA0929128723

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387431
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Neave, David, Neave, Susan, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Hull, (2010), 140

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/07336/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].