46, QUEEN STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207810
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
46, QUEEN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 46, QUEEN STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 23:27:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
46, QUEEN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Wolverhampton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SO 91722 98647

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO9198NE QUEEN STREET 895-1/12/296 (South side) 16/07/49 No.46 (Formerly Listed as: QUEEN STREET (South side) No.46 Falcon Chambers)

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos.46 AND 46A Falcon Chambers QUEEN STREET. Dispensary, post office from c1849, now restaurant and office. 1826, by Hollins of Birmingham; alterations by E.Banks, c1849. Stucco with parapeted roof. Greek Revival style. 2 storeys; 7 bays, 3-bay centre breaks forward. Channelled rustication to ground floor of centre, band over ground floor, 1st floor has fielded-panelled pilasters and entablature with parapet, but centre has applied tetrastyle Doric colonnade with baseless fluted columns and parapet. Ground floor has segmental-headed windows, those to ends with architraves and fixed glazing with 6-pane upper lights; 1st floor has windows with 12-pane sashes, the central window with incised pilaster strips, consoled entablature and balustraded apron. Inserted entrance in 2nd bay; central segmental-headed entrance has fluted pilasters, paterae to frieze and fanlight with leaded glazing. INTERIOR partially inspected; staircase has boarded balustrade; 1st floor may retain features of interest. A purpose-built dispensary, the first in Wolverhampton, which was superseded by the Royal Hospital, Cleveland Road, in 1849. (Mason F: The Book of Wolverhampton: Wolverhampton: 1980-: P.90).

Listing NGR: SO9172298647

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378543
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mason, F, The Book of Wolverhampton, (1980), 90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03639/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.R. Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].