AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL TO NORTH EAST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207905
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1994
Statutory Address:
AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL TO NORTH EAST, THE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL TO NORTH EAST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:23:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
AVENUE METHODIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SUNDAY SCHOOL TO NORTH EAST, THE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Minehead
National Grid Reference:
SS 97001 46283

Details

MINEHEAD

SS9646 THE AVENUE 900-1/3/79 (North side) Avenue Methodist Church and attached Sunday School to north-east

II

Methodist church. 1876; extended and remodelled in 1905, the mid C19 church being made into the south aisle. Snecked rubblestone with ashlar dressings, crested slate roof. PLAN: Virtually cruciform aisled plan with apsidal east end. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: 4-bay south aisle with transeptal east gable has mostly 2-light windows with plate tracery under gauged stone arches and hoodmoulds; single-storey hipped-roofed vestry attached to east gable return; west lean-to porch has pointed-arched doorway and cusped lancets with colonettes to west return. The 1905 work to the north is on a larger scale and in a Free Gothic style with some French Early Gothic influence. The semicircular apse has tall paired lancet windows with a decorative ashlar and rubblestone frieze above; the roof is semi-conical; the west end of the north aisle is similar. INTERIOR: of 5 bays with bold arch-braced timber roof on carved brackets; dog-tooth carving to arches; polychromatic stonework to arcades with circular and octagonal piers and moulded and chamfered arches of 2 orders; trumpet-scalloped capitals to marble piers. Pine benches, dado and pulpit. 1905 glass with stained glass floral motifs; herringbone glazing to clerestory. Sunday School to north-east of church, built of English bond brick with limestone bands and dressings; dentilled bargeboards with pendentive to front (south) gable; slate roof. Gabled south front in Free Tudor style has 5-light transomed first-floor window with cusped lights over pentice with buttresses to slate roof; stone-mullioned windows with sunk spandrels to cusped heads flank stone doorway with 4-centred arch dying into jambs and carved rosettes, etc. to spandrels. Dormers with leaded 4-light windows to returns. INTERIOR: has 4-bay arch-braced timber roof. House extending to rear (north) has gabled and half-hipped roofs; in Gothic Revival style with double-gabled 2-bay west front having central door and transomed windows: interior not inspected. HISTORY: The building of the Avenue Methodist Church quickly followed the arrival of the railway in 1874, after which the resort considerably expanded. The church was built on land donated by GF Luttrell of Dunster Castle (Dunster CP).

Listing NGR: SS9700146283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391237
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00044/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].