SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL TO CHURCH HILL INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND VR LETTER BOX

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1208183

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1994

Statutory Address: SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL TO CHURCH HILL INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND VR LETTER BOX, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL TO CHURCH HILL INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND VR LETTER BOX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208183 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 14:32:58.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTH BOUNDARY WALL TO CHURCH HILL INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND VR LETTER BOX, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Ilfracombe

National Grid Reference: SS 51422 47258

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILFRACOMBE

SS5147 CHURCH HILL 853-1/6/90 (North side) South boundary wall to Church Hill including gate piers and VR letter box

GV II

Wall, gate piers and letter box. Mid to late C19; the letter box is likely to have been inserted between 1881 and 1904. Wall is of stone rubble, narrowing at the top, the base of this 'coping' marked by a line of projecting stones; some of the latter have been replaced in slate. Between the 2 sets of gate piers the wall has pilaster-strips on the outer (Church Hill) side. The eastern gate piers are of coursed, squared rubble with caps formed by large, projecting slaps of stone just below the top; the eastern of the 2 piers has a plain projecting plinth. The western gate piers are of stone rubble with red brick quoins, and have later concrete caps. Immediately east of the eastern set of gate piers is an iron letter box set into a surround of cream coloured brick. It has a crown at the top flanked by the letters VR; the hood above the opening carried the inscription POST OFFICE. The door is entirely plain, apart from the holder for notices and the keyhole guard, the latter somewhat rusted. The letter box is of the type made by WT Allen & Co. of Upper Thames Street, London between 1881 and 1904; it was probably cast at the Sherwood Foundry in Mansfield. (Farrugia JY: The Letterbox: 1969-: P.84-5, 259, 263).

Listing NGR: SS5142247259

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390169

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrugia, J Y , The Letterbox, (1969), 84-5 259
Farrugia, J Y , The Letterbox, (1969), 263

End of official listing