- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- BACONS FARMHOUSE, HALL LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208217 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:31:13.
- Statutory Address:
- BACONS FARMHOUSE, HALL LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Brentwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TQ 64940 98248
TQ69NW HALL LANE 723-1/6/457 (North West side) 20/02/76 Bacons Farmhouse (Formerly Listed as: BRENTWOOD HALL LANE, Mountnessing Bacons Farmhouse)
House. Early C17 and early C19. Timber-framed and red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Early C17 timber-framed range of 3 bays aligned approximately NE-SW, formerly connected to another building at the NE end (possibly a medieval hall range), now missing, incorporated in an early C19 brick building of square plan facing SE. One internal stack in middle bay of C17 range, to rear of axis, and another internal stack to right of this range. One partly external stack to rear right, the shaft rebuilt, and another at rear left which is corbelled out from the wall to serve the first floor only, now truncated at eaves level. 2 storeys and attic Single-storey wing to rear centre turning to left to form an L-plan, C19, much altered in C20. The front elevation has a 3-window range of early C19 sashes of 8+8 lights with plastered flat arches and projecting keys, and some crown glass. Off-centre half-glazed double doors in Tuscan portico with wooden columns; concrete threshold. The right elevation has in each storey 3 early C19 sashes of 6+6 lights with similar arches. The left elevation has in each storey 3 early C19 sashes of 6+6 horizontal lights with segmental brick arches, and a plain boarded door and simple flat canopy on profiled brackets; C20 casement in flat-roofed dormer. The roof is hipped, forming one range parallel with the front elevation and 3 ranges individually hipped at the rear. The rear range is of C19 handmade bricks externally, partly of Flettons internally, roofed with machine-made red clay tiles. INTERIOR: the timber-framed core is wholly incorporated in the later building, and little of it is visible below roof level. In the entrance-hall is a chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops at the right end, the left end is severed for a C19 stair; similar axial beam to left. The roof is of butt-purlin form, 2 purlins to each pitch, with rafters of vertical section tenoned to the lower purlins, passing over the upper purlins, with a later ridge-piece. The frame is wholly of oak of high quality, and the original roof is complete, except that at the left end the former gable has been altered to a hip. At the front early C19 rafters carry the roof out at a lower pitch to the brick elevation. At the right end one mortice in each principal rafter indicates that 2 purlins formerly connected it to another building, now missing. INTERIOR: has many early C19 features. The front doorway and all ground-floor windows at the front and right side have folding internal shutters in square reveals with reeded surrounds. To left of the entrance-hall is a semi-elliptical arch, and another to rear of it; a doorway with semicircular head has been made in the original rear wall of the timber-framed range. Most of the doors on the ground floor are of 6 moulded panels, and 2 on the first floor; one to rear right of the entrance hall has a reeded doorcase with carved rosettes; another to left of it has a similar doorcase, altered. Early C19 moulded skirtings. Later fireplaces. Within the moat of a moated site. HISTORICAL NOTE: Bacon's was a manor at least from the time of Edmund and John Bacunne, who obtained a licence from Edward I to enclose a wood to form a park. In 1375 it comprised 100 acres of arable, 12 acres of pasture and 4 acres of meadow. It was purchased by Sir William Petre after 1514, and has remained in the Petre family to the present day. (Morant P: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex: 1768-: 44).
Listing NGR: TQ6494098248
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Morant, P, The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex, (1768), 44
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.