Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208234.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jul-2021 at 10:46:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Preston (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD 54029 29095



SD5429SW AVENHAM ROAD 941-1/12/14 (West side) 12/06/90 Nos.41-45 (Consecutive) Stephen Simpson Ltd.


Office and works with attached factory to rear of Nos.43 and 44. 1844 with later alterations and additions; for Isaac Simpson, gold thread and plate manufacturer. Mostly red brick in 4+1 English garden wall bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roofs, except No.44 which is Accrington brick in stretcher bond with concrete dressings and metal window frames. Composite plan evolved from pair of houses (Nos.42 and 43) with back extensions linked to contemporary factory built across the 2 back yards; No.44 to the right purchased in 1863, rebuilt 1935 and subsequently extended to the rear; Nos.41 to the left and 45 to the right incorporated in complex in C20. No.41 has 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and cornice with mutules, former domestic doorway up 4 steps to left, with pilaster doorcase, panelled door, overlight and cornice, C20 office doorway to right, cellar window, one ground-floor window with altered glazing, and 3 plain sashes at 1st floor, all these with wedge lintels. Nos.42 and 43 three storeys, 4- and 2-window range, with 1st-floor sill-band ramped down, plain frieze and moulded cornice, workshop doorway with stone surround at the junction, C20 raised taking-in doorway to right, otherwise 2 plain sashes at ground floor of No.42 and altered 12-pane sash at No.43, 12-pane sashes at 1st floor of both, 4 plain sashes at 2nd floor of No.42 and three 12-pane windows at 2nd floor of No.43 (with swivel casement top openings). No.44 to right, Accrington brick, with full-width metal-framed windows on all floors (incorporating taking-in doors at ground floor), concrete plaque below 1st floor window lettered "REBUILT SS 1935", stepped parapet with concrete coping. No.45 further to right, a low 2-storey 1-window range, with enlarged window at ground floor, 12-pane sash with margin panes at 1st floor, cast-iron plaque to right lettered "45", downspout with lead bracket dated 1844. Rear: old factory, a rectangular 4-storey 7-window range with circular stair-turret on west side, extruded square chimney at north-east corner, 30-pane windows on east side with swivel-casement top openings; full-height 4-window link to No.42. INTERIOR: old factory has spiral staircase, bolted kingpost roof trusses with fishbone struts; back extension of No.42 has kitchen fireplace (blocked). History: No.42 was home of Isaac Simpson, founder of this firm, from 1842 to 1852. Included as rare example of industrial premises developing from domestic origins; associated with Stephen Simpson's works on opposite side of street (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SD5401629087


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14355/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Convey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].