CRANFORDS RESTAURANT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1208895
Date first listed:
23-Oct-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Feb-1994
Statutory Address:
CRANFORDS RESTAURANT, 29, FAIRFAX PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRANFORDS RESTAURANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208895 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 13:12:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CRANFORDS RESTAURANT, 29, FAIRFAX PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Dartmouth
National Grid Reference:
SX 87825 51316

Details

DARTMOUTH

SX874510 FAIRFAX PLACE 673-1/8/122 (East side) 23/10/72 No.29 Cranfords Restaurant (Formerly Listed as: FAIRFAX PLACE (East side) No.29 Bay Tree Restaurant)

GV II

Merchant's house, refurbished as a Stamp Office, now a cafeteria with house above. Late C16/early C17, refurbished 1901 for RC Cranford, ground floor altered more than once since for cafeteria. Mixed construction; stone rubble side walls, timber-framed front and back walls; party-wall stone stacks with C17 Dutch brick chimneyshafts (star-shaped chimneyshaft of 1664 shared with No.4 The Quay (qv)); slate roof. PLAN: Original house built end onto the street with a 2-room plan and side passage alongside left (northern) party wall. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; one-window front built in the attractive eclectic Elizabethan style favoured by CR Cranford (cf. Nos 1-3 Fairfax Place (qv) opposite). Ground floor has side passage entrance to left, a 6-panel door with plain overlight. Shop front flanked by posts from 1901 enriched with guilloche but otherwise altered in the early C20 for cafeteria with deeply-recessed central doorway. Good 1901 work above. First floor has central oriel with canted sides and moulded mullion-and-transom windows containing original stained glass. Corner posts carved with twists, embattled cornice carved with flowers and hipped roof of scallop slates up to a second-floor flowerbox ledge enclosed by an ornamental crest of cast-ironwork. Moulded small-field framing either side of the oriel under timber frieze of carved vines, pargetted panels containing arms of famous Dartmouth sons. Similar decoration below oriel with centre panel dated 1901 with initials RCC and CTC. Timber frieze below carved with strapwork and in the centre "Stamp Office". Second-floor level is slate-hung including bands of shaped slates. Centre pair of mullion-and-transom windows containing sashes, guilloche carving to king mullion. Timber eaves cornice carved with a blind arcade. Roof parallel to the street with front 4-light mullion-and-transom gabled half dormer; apex infilled with ornamental slate-hanging and carved bargeboards on C17-style carved brackets. INTERIOR: Ground-floor features of c1901 include circular open-string stair with decorated brass balusters, the moulded box cornice could be earlier. Older work survives on the upper floors: first-floor front has a splendid oak-panelled chimneypiece dated 1585 with the initials AIC (each in a separate panel), richly carved with fluted pilasters - it now contains a good Adam-style chimneypiece. Access to the rest of the house was not possible, although it is said to have a newel stair and at least one C17 panelled door. HISTORY: This plot was leased by the Plumleigh family from 1585 until after 1700. In 1655 this property was leased to one Anthony Plumleigh whilst the adjoining property, No.4 The Quay (qv), was leased to Robert Plumleigh, both were mariners. The property here was built on land reclaimed from the estuary in the 1580s and thereafter Fairfax Place/Lower Street became one of the main trading streets in Dartmouth. It connects the old quay at Bayards Cove with the New Quay around the present Boat Float. (Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society: Thorp, John RL: 4 The Quay, Dartmouth: A Devon town-house of 1664: 1983-: P.107-122).

Listing NGR: SX8782851317

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387244
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society' in Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society, (1983), 107-122

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04593/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Head. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].