Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1208933.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2021 at 17:16:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Lancaster (District Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


SD4161 939-1/7/16 29/12/50


MAIN STREET, Heysham (West side) Nos.1-5 (Odd)


Two houses. Built as Heysham Rectory in C17, extended in C18 and sub-divided into cottages in C19. Sandstone rubble, whitewashed at the front, with slate roof. Earliest part of house T-plan with rebated and chamfered mullioned windows. 2 storeys. On the ground floor there is a single light fire window and a 4-light window, under a drip mould which extends over the doorway to the right. On the 1st floor there are 2 windows of 3 lights. The moulding of the door jambs extends to form a stepped shape on the lintel, which is inscribed: '1680'. The gables have stone copings at a pitch which suggests that the roof was originally thatched. Built against the left-hand gable is a stone chimney cap. To the left are lower extensions. Adjoining the original building is one bay which has windows with plain reveals and a door to the right with similar reveals and a chamfered lintel. To the left is a chimney. Further left, in separate occupation and possibly the conversion of a farm building, the facade is rendered and blank except for one bay with small windows with plain reveals, and a door to their left. The right-hand gable wall contains a 2-light window on the 1st floor. The gabled rear wing appears to be contemporary with the front range and has 3-light windows to both the 1st floor and the attic. In the angle with the main house there is a 2-storey stair projection with a blocked window above ground level and a 2-light window at a higher level. In front of and to the right of the projecting wing are various lean-to additions. Interior: main house altered, with removal of some partition walls on ground floor. The present fireplace is of C18 shouldered type, but the 2 chamfered main beams now supported by the chimneybreast are scarfed, suggesting that they were originally supported on a firehood bressumer. The chamfer of the front beam is inscribed: '1658 F?'. The kitchen contains the remains of a stone spiral staircase, the lower flight removed to allow the fitting of kitchen units and the upper part blocked off. A Glebe Terrier in the Lancashire Record Office (DRB 3/15) describes the rooms in the house in 1778 and mentions a thatched barn 16yds long, a shippon, a cart house, and a stable.

Listing NGR: SD4111461665


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03214/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].