Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209007.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2021 at 21:04:57.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Islington (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31264 82428


TQ3182SW 635-1/73/387

ISLINGTON, EXMOUTH MARKET (South side), Church of our most Holy Redeemer, Clergy House, campanile & parish hall

(Formerly Listed as: EXMOUTH MARKET (South side) Church of the Holy Redeemer)



Church with attached clergy house, campanile, and parish hall. 1887-1888, by John Dando Sedding completed by Henry Wilson 1892-1895. Clergy House, parish hall, campanile, and Lady Chapel 1894-1906. Chapel of All Souls, 1921 by Wilson. Sculptural carving to interior by F W Pomeroy, sculptor. Buff stock brick set in English bond with finely cut rubbed red brick and stone bands and dressings, and red-tile dressings; various Welsh-slate roofs: gabled roof with projecting eaves to church, half-hipped roof to clergy house, gable facing to parish hall and hipped roof with projecting eaves to campanile. Free cross-plan with narrow side aisles and diminutive transepts; interior lengthened by Wilson with Lady Chapel extending eastward behind Baldacchino. Pure Italian Renaissance style. Symmetrical front facade to church with round-arched doorway set into centre of solid brick wall at ground level: doorway with wooden panelled double doors with rectangular overlights flanked by pairs of stone pilasters (with red brick panels) carrying entablature and surmounted by moulded-stone extrados to finely-cut rubbed red-brick tympanum with brick-panelled intrados. Stone cornice at midpoint up front elevation with inscribed freize in giant letters reading: 'CHRISTO LIBERATOR'. Red brick and stone banding to 1st stage: wheel window to centre with intricate curved and radial leaded glazing bars and moulded stone surround. Giant pediment above with wide projecting bracketed eaves; finely cut low-relief carving to tympanum. Continuation of banded decoration (in brick only) to upper stage of left-hand return wall with same wheel window as front; right-hand return wall obscured by campanile but has same detailing. Flanking front facade on left is parish hall, on the right the clergy house with its projecting campanile. Subtle Italian Romanesque style to subsidiary buildings. Parish hall breaks forward slightly: 2 storeys; 1-window range (5 lights with modillions) set in brick recess to centre. Main entrance to small covered porch to right-hand return wall; secondary 1-storey entrance to far left front facade, both with round-arched heads. Features throughout include finely detailed tile extradoses, imposts, decorative tympanum and banding; stone coping above left entrance. Clergy house breaks forward slightly: 4 storeys; 2-window range plus 1-window range to left-hand return wall. Round-arched entrance to return. Sashes (6/6, 4/4, 2/2) with round-arched heads with fine tile extradoses, stone imposts and sill bands; windows to ground and 4th floors with flat arches. Cornice, tile coping to brick parapet. Campanile breaks well-forward to southwest corner: almost square in plan, partially obscured by other buildings; 5 stages; various round-arched coupled openings (except 1st stage single opening only) with sashes to ground, 1st, 2nd and 3rd stages; other stages open; all with finely-cut tiled or brick extradoses, stone imposts and sill bands. INTERIOR: of church: Renaissance style. Colonnades of lavish, giant Corinthian-columns with panelled pedestals carrying unbroken entablature and supporting four groined vaults. Column capitals carved by sculptor F W Pomeroy. Free-standing Baldacchino high altar on pattern of Sto. Spirito in Florence in east end; Sedding's plans for frescoed walls never carried out and are now plain, Wilson responsible for most of existing interior furnishings such as font, 1909, floors, some of marble. Lady Chapel with details by Wilson and Sedding's son. All Soul's Chapel: reredos, presented by Wilson, cast of that in the chapel at Welbeck Abbey (1906). Glass is plain. Stations of Cross by Martin Travers studio and organ from Chapel Royal at Windsor Castle installed in 1889. Attached iron railings to front elevation. History: The church was consecrated in 1888 but never completed as designed in 1887. Sedding died very young in 1891, and the building was completed by Sedding's assistant Henry Wilson. He submitted plans in 1892 which included extending the building eastward behind the Baldacchino; this was done in 1894-1895. An appeal was established in 1901 to pay for the other buildings and they were completed in 1906. This church is of outstanding importance as an example of the late C19 reaction against High Victorian Gothic. Sedding accomplished this by using the pure Italian Renaissance style. In doing so, he not only created a 'monument to the Aestheticism of the late Victorian Anglo-Catholics', but made the church look Roman Catholic. Wilson's work to the church is particularly fine; and his interesting subsidiary buildings (parish-hall, clergy-house, and especially the campanile) flanking the front facade are extremely clever and idiosyncratic. This complex was built in the heart of a significant Italian community. These buildings form a remarkable group. (Buildings of England: Pevsner, N: London: London: 1951-: FINSBURY 114; The Faber Guide to Victorian Churches: London: 1989-: 77; Stamp, G and Amery, C: Victorian Buildings of London 1837-1887: An Illustrated Guide: London: 1982-: 153-154).

Listing NGR: TQ3126482428


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Howell, P, Sutton, I, The Faber Guide to Victorian Churches, (1989), 77
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Middlesex, (1951)
Stamp, , Amery, , Victorian Buildings of London 1837-1887 An Illustrated Guide, (1982), 153-154


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/05025/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Neal Cox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].