5 AND 6, POWELL ROW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209148
Date first listed:
30-Sep-1993
Statutory Address:
5 AND 6, POWELL ROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5 AND 6, POWELL ROW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:15:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
5 AND 6, POWELL ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Harborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Bitteswell
National Grid Reference:
SP5359485896

Details

SP58NW 1323-0/3/18

BITTESWELL POWELL ROW Nos.5 AND 6

GV II

Pair of almshouses. 1847. One of three pairs founded by Wakelin Welch, esq. and his wife, Elizabeth. Brick in Flemish bond with yellow stone dressings. Decorated tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Semi-detached with rear wings. Shallow external end stacks with paired shafts; end stacks to wings. End gable walls with coping and kneelers. Symmetrical 4-window range. All windows casements in stone surrounds. Side bays with 2 and 3-light windows to 1st and ground floors respectively. Centre bays under gable with coping and kneelers; 2 single-light windows connected by string course that rises to contain central shield in recessed panel. 4-centred arched doorways below with planked doors. 2-light windows to ground-floor side elevations and 1st-floor rear. This building forms part of an attractive set of three almost identical almshouses.

Listing NGR: SP5359485896

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05245/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Arnold. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].