SHEAT MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209219
Date first listed:
21-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
SHEAT MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHEAT MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209219 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 23:27:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHEAT MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gatcombe
National Grid Reference:
SZ 49372 84487

Details

GATCOMBE

SZ48SE GATCOMBE 1353-0/3/103 Sheat Manor 21/07/51

GV II*

Manor house. Early C17 built by the Urry family. Built of greensand coursed stone rubble with ashlar quoins, hipped slate roof and end brick chimneystacks. Half H-shaped plan of 2 storeys and attics: 7 windows. South front has 2 storey centre and projecting end gables of 2 storeys and attics with stone coping and kneelers. 5 stone mullioned windows and 2 further blocked windows in sides of gables. Drip mouldidng to attic windows. Over ground and 1st floors there are bands stepped up over the windows to form dripmoulding. Deep stone plinth. Central projecting one storey porch with crenellated parapet containing a round-headed archway with keystone over and impost blocks. The inner doorway is obtusely pointed and has original door of 4 vertical planks. The North front has 6 original 2 or 3-light stone mullioned windows to 1st floor and 2 original stone mullioned windows to the ground floor. The other windows are casements. Central gabled porch with stone coping, keystone and round-headed arch. Original 4 plank door with studs behind. Right side elevation has C18 brick lean to. Left side elevation has C20 concrete garage not of special interest. 2 end external chimneystacks, the left one stone to base and brick above. Interior: hall has early C17 stone 4 centred arched fireplace with fine oak overmantel, having 3 fluted pilasters with human masks below, the central one full face, the end ones in profile and strapwork panels between. Frieze with heart motifs. Oak caryatids on each side of the fireplace. Obtusely pointed stone archway to left side of fireplace. Also exposed beams and remains of a door surround chamfered with lambs tongue stops. Partially stone flagged floor. Dining Room has 4 centred stone fireplace and oak panelling. Priest hole reputed built into this fireplace approached by winding stair from the room above. One of the original Domesday manors. In 1605 Sir William Oglander gave Thomas Urry 10 oak trees "towards building their new house at Gatcombe". (C W R Winter: The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight: 137 - 145; B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 746; VCH: 246).

Listing NGR: SZ4937284487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
392703
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1912), 246
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 746
Winter, CWR , The Manor Houses of the Isle of Wight137-145

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00239/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Rev Robert Rudd. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].