CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1209403
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209403 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 00:28:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Isle of Wight (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shorwell
National Grid Reference:
SZ4788481299

Details

SHORWELL

KINGSTON SZ48SE Church of St James 1354-0/9/350 18/01/67 II*

Parish church. C13 origin, porch said to be added in 1766 and vestry in 1872 when the church was extensively remodelled by R J Jones. Built of Isle of Wight coursed stone rubble with tiled roof. Nave and chancel in one with bellcote to west gable, south porch and S.E. vestry. Nave and chancel has to north side 4 lancets, blocked four-centred arched door and buttress. West end has corner and 2 centre buttresses and 2 C19 trefoliated lancets. C19 stone bellcote surmounted by weathervane. South side has 3 C19 lancets, 1 C13 lancet to chancel ad C13 arched doorcase with dripmould. C19 plank door with elaborate iron hinges. East front has C19 paired lancet window with dripmould and above a C13 corbel head with stiff leaf decoration over. South porch is said to be 1766 but appears 1872. Gable with coping, cross-shaped saddlestone and kneelers. Buttresses. Arched doorcase with hood moulding. Vestry of 1872 with gable incorporating a chimneystack and double cinquefoil-headed window with dripmould. Originally the private chapel of the De Kingston family of Kingston Manor (qv). (B.O.E. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: 748).

Listing NGR: SZ4788481299

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
393194
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 748

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04019/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].