QUEEN ELIZABETH HIGHER SCHOOL, SOUTH RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209581
Date first listed:
02-Oct-1992
Statutory Address:
QUEEN ELIZABETH HIGHER SCHOOL, SOUTH RANGE, ST LAWRENCE GREEN

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209581.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2021 at 05:16:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
QUEEN ELIZABETH HIGHER SCHOOL, SOUTH RANGE, ST LAWRENCE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Crediton
National Grid Reference:
SS 82666 00474

Details

CREDITON

SS826000 ST LAWRENCE GREEN 672-1/5/151 (North side) Queen Elizabeth Higher School, south range

GV II

School. 1859 to the designs of John Hayward, school opened 1860. Flemish bond brick; Bathstone and Ham Hill dressings; slate roof; stacks with brick shafts and Bathstone quoins. Tudor style. Plan: Overall E-plan. Central block contains the hall with entrances to left and right; identical double depth masters' houses at either end, each with a central entrance and rear wing. Exterior: Hall block single storey; masters' houses 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 3:5:3 bay front. The 5-bay hall block in the centre has a gable-ended roof (central lantern missing); plinth; coped buttresses with set offs. Coped parapet, gabled over the centre of each bay with a stone shield in each gable. Moulded string below parapet with Tudor style carvings; projecting griffins carved at each corner. 5 Ham Hill 3-light windows with hollow-chamfered mullions and high transoms, glazed with iron casements with glazing bars. Moulded string at sill level is carried out round buttresses. To left and right of the hall there are gateways with chamfered Tudor arches and coped parapets rising as a gable in the centre with a carved shield. The rear elevation has a secondary corridor block. The masters' houses each have stone quoins and 2 coped gables to the front with kneelers; moulded stone string at first floor sill level. Shouldered stacks on the inner returns have quoins and coped caps, stack to left end house rebuilt. Steps up to central 2-centred arched doorway with a hoodmould in the centre; original plank doors with ornamental strap hinges. Original inner doorways with half-glazed doors with a splate finial tot he frame. 4-light mullion and transom stone windows with hoodmoulds to left and right. The first floor has outer 3-light stone mullioned windows with hoodmoulds, 2-light window in the centre, 2 similar 2-light attic windows. The outer returns continue in the same style. The right return is very complete with 5 ground floor windows and 5 first floor windows. Gabled dormer to the left; rear wing gabled to the front to the right. The left return has some C20 timber windows: 5 ground and 5 first floor windows. Interior: The hall is very complete with a 5-bay open roof with tie-beam trusses with chamfered arch braces carried on moulded corbels; 2 tiers of purlins; windbraces. 3-light windows to each end. A framed print in the hall shows the inauguration of the school in 1860. John Hayward of Exeter was the leading local Gothic Revival architect from the 1840s. He worked principally on church restoration and carried out an extensive restoration and repair programme on Crediton parish church in the 1870s. There are only a handful of secular buildings by him in the county. The school is typical of his work in the 1860s, scholarly and restrained.

Listing NGR: SS8266600474

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387101
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/03404/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].