FOOTBRIDGE IMMEDIATELY WEST OF CREDITON RAILWAY STATION MAIN RANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209597
Date first listed:
24-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
FOOTBRIDGE IMMEDIATELY WEST OF CREDITON RAILWAY STATION MAIN RANGE, STATION ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209597.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Aug-2021 at 11:05:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
FOOTBRIDGE IMMEDIATELY WEST OF CREDITON RAILWAY STATION MAIN RANGE, STATION ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Crediton
National Grid Reference:
SX 83921 99493

Details

CREDITON

SX8399 STATION ROAD 672-1/4/154 Footbridge immediately west of 24/08/89 Crediton Railway Station Main Range

GV II

Footbridge over railway line. 1878 (datestone), built for the LSWR. Rock-faced, grey limestone piers with Bathstone dressings; plate girder iron bridge and stair construction, timber steps. Plan: each pier contains a small store room and supports 2 flights of steps up to the bridge; those on the west side with landings, those on the east lead onto the station platforms. The east side of the bridge is unfloored and railed off with cast iron railings. Exterior: The piers have clasping buttresses and parapets with plain coping. Each storeroom has a chamfered doorway on the west side and crank-arched chamfered window on the outer face with a 4-pane sash window. In the parapet above the south window of the south pier there is a chamfered recessed panel with a Shield inscribed "L. & S.W.R.Y. 1878." The flights of steps on the west side of the bridge are supported on 4 cast iron columns fluted capitals. The bridge was formerly roofed over (information from railway worker). Interior: The storerooms are plain with brick barrel-vaulted roofs. Historical Note: The complicated early history of the line, which began in 1838, led to its being known as the 'Vicar of Bray Railway', but eventually the Exeter and Crediton Railway (Act of 1845) was leased to the Bristol and Exeter Railway who converted to broad guage and opened May 12 1851 until the LSWR took over the lease in 1862 (St John Thomas, pp.92-96). An attractive bridge and part of a group of C19 railway buildings of different dates. (A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: St John Thomas, David,: The West Country: PP.92-96).

Listing NGR: SX8392199493

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
387103
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Thomas, D , 'A Regional History of The Railways of Great Britain' in The West Country, (), 92-96

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/02022/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Woodhead. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].