49, THORNHILL ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1209601
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1994
Statutory Address:
49, THORNHILL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1209601.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Sep-2021 at 11:26:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
49, THORNHILL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Islington (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31116 84353

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3184SW THORNHILL ROAD 635-1/52/1019 No.49

II

House now office. 1868 or 9. Stock brick with hipped slate roof and end stacks. 2 storeys; 3-window range of 2 light casements and central 6/6 sash. Moulded shouldered architraves. Central porch with Ionic columns and entablature. Panelled door and overlight. Single-storey extension to right. INTERIOR: has, as well as stick baluster staircase and other contemporary fittings, very elaborate plaster or papier mache decoration to ground floor room including ceiling, wall panels, doors and overdoors with initials JHB. Marble fire-place and overmantel. In 1871 the house was occupied by James Howel Boekbinder or Bookbinder, a Dutch manufacturer of carton pierre or papier mache and this is very likely to be a fine example of his artistry.

Listing NGR: TQ3111684353

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
369377
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/02977/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].