This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1210460



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Hadham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 395072

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4321 LITTLE HADHAM THE FORD (west side ) Hadham Ford

9/6 Ashmeads



House. C16, hall range rebuilt in mid C17, extensions to N in 1960s and NW in 1971. Large, 2 storeys, timberframed and plastered, facing E. Steep old red tile roof, hipped to N. Higher 2 storeys and attic cross wing at S with gablet at rear but gabled to road with exposed timberframing above Ground floor, where it was formerly jettied. Renewed panelled fan pargetting elsewhere. Very large old red brick chimney with crowstep decoration against S wall of cross wing. Central chimney in hall range. Parts N of central chimney are modern. Old part of house has a short hall with a chamber over served by the large central chimney, all reconstructed in mid C17, and a fine C16 2 bay cross wing with elaborate decoration, projecting on E. There was a stair in its SW corner and the upper floor was divided by a central cross partition. The close-timbered front has an original square oriel window (mullions renewed in C19) with hollow-and-roll moulded base to plastered cove, and a C19 bargeboard pierced with a running scroll. Small, 3-light diamond mullioned window on S return. 4-light similar window with sliding shutter-bearers surviving top and bottom, in front gable lighting attic. W room of cross wing on 1st floor has head mortices for a 3-light similar window with shutter groove, under W tie beam, but this has been replaced c.1600 by a 4-light mullioned and transomed oriel window with ovolo moulded members and sunk-panelled corner posts. The E oriel has a shutter groove but no head mortices showing that it is original. C19 4-light mullioned and transomed ovolo moulded window on rear wall, Ground floor, of cross wing, and similar C19 3-light oriel to chamber over hall. Modern diamond leaded casements elsewhere. Entrance is into the hall which has exposed the axial beam and joists of the floor structure over, and a wide fireplace with heavy late C16 moulded lintel. The chamber over the hall has a segmental arched chamfered brick fireplace with rounded back corners, and a straight tension brace in the rear wall. The range has a clasped purlin roof and was probably reconstructed in the C17. A fine doorway in the SW corner of the hall leads into the cross wing. The door has a 4-centred, hollow chamfered, arched head with sunk spandrels each decorated with a ball. The exposed chamfered and stopped joists and beams in the cross wing show the position of the former E jetty. Facing board to fireplace lintel c.1600 carved with guilloche and chip-carved paterae over 2 rows of billet moulding. Small-panelled oak wainscotting. 2 bay clasped purlin roof with curved wind braces. Closed truss in centre over former 1st floor partition with door at S end. (RCHM Type- script: VCH 91914) 50).

Listing NGR: TL4355221678

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1914)

National Grid Reference: TL 43552 21678


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210460 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 05:41:51.

End of official listing