Church of All Saints

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1210999
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1976
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Main Street, West Ilsley

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1210999.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:03:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Main Street, West Ilsley

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
West Ilsley
National Grid Reference:
SU4734782491

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/01/2020

SU 48 SE 3/12

WEST ILSLEY Main Street (south side) Church of All Saints

[Formerly listed under HIGH STREET (south side)]

16.9.76

G.V. II

Church. C14, extended and restored 1881. Knapped flint with Bath stone ashlar dressings, some brick dressings and part rendered south elevation; plain tiled roofs. Nave, chancel, north aisle, north porch, north transept; Diagonal buttresses with tiled caps, plinth, moulded stone string at cill level, gable parapets, stone bellcote to west end gable.

North elevation: to left gable transept with one two-light window in two-centred arch with stone drip mould, dated 1881 on cill, above door in two-centred arched opening; north aisle two two-light windows in two-centred arches with drip moulds to left of gabled porch with two-centred arched opening over north doorway which has stone two-centred arch with cusped trefoiled head and wide chamfered reveals with leaf carvings and moulded plinth; single-light window to right.

South elevation: to left nave rendered with single-light window to far left, two-light window in centre and three-light window to right, these have cusped ogee heads to lights under square headed openings and drip moulds; to right chancel flint with brick dressings, two-light window to left of door in segmental arch under label mould.

Interior: Walls plastered with stone dressings. Nave: four bays, plain collared trusses, two butt purlins with curved wind braces to the upper one, four bay arcade to north aisle of two-centred arches, chamfered and recessed, on short columns with leaf caps, three windows on south wall have two-centred rear arches with roll moulds at their edges. Chancel; three bays, collared trusses with carved pendants at springing central one bears timber plaques with "E / EM" on the north and 1659 on the south, two-centred arched opening to transept on north now encloses organ.

Fittings: C19 carved screen with cross between chancel and nave. Pulpit of carved C17 timber panels. C19 stone octagonal font at west end of north aisle.

Listing NGR: SU4734782491

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
395591
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 32
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 264
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11398/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].