Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1211481

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973



Ordnance survey map of NATIONAL MARITIME MUSEUM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1211481 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:51:30.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Greenwich (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 38711 77697


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 4412 ROMNEY ROAD SE10 (South Side)

National Maritime Museum TQ 3877 26/G53


2. Central block of the Queen's House, connected by colonnades to side wings. The Queen's House. Inigo Jones, begun 1616, completed 1637. 2 storeys, 7 windows on north-west front. Fairly low pitched leaded roof has square chimney stacks with rebated angles. Stucco lst floor with stone dressings. Rusticated stone ground floor. Moulded architrave, frieze, dentil cornice and balustraded parapet with pilasters between bays. Sash windows with glazing bars. Moulded architraves wmth cornices to 1st floor windows. On north front double curved stair to balustraded terrace. On basement level, between wings of stair, a round arched entrance with moulded architrave and keystone. On south front a slightly projecting central section wmth open 5-bay gallery divided by Ionic columns on 1st floor. Balustrades to 1st floor windows matching that of gallery. Plain reveals with tiple keystones to ground floor windows. Segmental arched entrances under colonnades at East and West sides. Interior rather plain and solid. Original features remain, ie doors and doorcases, marble fireplaces and the Tulip Staircase so called because of tulip flowers in the wrought ironwork of the balustrade. Some enriched ceilings notably in the galleried hall (geometrical with very high raised borders) and the later east bridge room (geometrical with quatrefoil centre and very rich raised borders). East and west wings. By David Alexander 1807-16. Road fronts of Palladian proportions 2 storey, attic and basement. Moderately low pitched, slated roof. Stuccoed walls, stone dressings. Doric front of 6 attached columns, the outer ones square, supporting entablature and blocking course. Ovev 3 middle bays an attic storey with 4 pilasters rising to small cornice and blocking course breaking forward around them. Balustraded parapet at either side and for 1st portion of returns. Banded, rusticated ground floor with cornice. Projecting rusticated stone basement with plain plinth. Moulded reveals to low, replaced sashes with glazing bars on attic and 1st floors. Ground floor windows in moulded architraves, basement windows with large keystones, both sashes with glazing bars. On inner returns 3 projecting features, each with 4 Doric pilasters, support entablature and blocking course. Balustraded parapet at ends. Similar fenestration to fronts, except that basement windows at Romney Road end are round arched. Rusticated ground floor. Heavily rusticated basement, vermiculate basement to southern projections. Between projections 8 bays at back and 10 at front. West wing forms left wing of symmetrical arrangement of 3 Western blocks, the far west wing being similar. The centre block of this arrangement contains museum entrance. 2 storeys, attic and basement, 4 windows. Doric attached columns, resting on projecting rusticated basement, support entablature and balustraded parapet. Columns paired at angles and at either side of centre bay, which is further emphasised by pairs of projecting detached columns. Tall central entrance arch to above 1st floor level has mask on keystone and Royal arms in tympanum. Recessed panel above entablature has Naval arms under cornice and pediment.

Listing NGR: TQ3871177697


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 395996

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

End of official listing