CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1212611
Date first listed:
01-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1212611.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:02:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Holme East Waver
National Grid Reference:
NY 19869 55243

Details

NY 15 NE HOLME EAST WAVER Newton Arlosh

2/22 Church of St John the Baptist

1/4/67 I

Parish Church. Licence to crenellate 11 April 1304, extended and repaired 1844 by Sarah Losh, vestry and restoration 1894. Large blocks of squared red sandstone mixed with cobbles. Extensions of red sandstone all under sandstone slate roofs, except for lead on tower. Square fortified west tower with extremely thick walls. Contemporary 2-bay fortified nave; 1844 north chancel at right-angles with apside vestry on east wall. Tower has original and restored arrow-slit windows. 2-light Tudor north window has C19 restoration. Upper part of tower is of different stonework and has been restored with battlemented parapet and turret. Nave has narrow hollow-chamfered pointed doorway and arrow- slit windows. 2-bay chancel has round-arched west doorway and lancet windows. Vestry has round-headed windows. Interior of tower has vaulted basement and spiral stone stair giving access to upper floor priest's chamber with fireplace and to second floor chamber. Nave: C13 octagonal font bowl with crocketed gables on fragmentary stem. Carved ram's head corbels by Sarah Losh in east wall flank former altar position. Carved wood lectern, in form of palm tree, by Sarah Losh. North wall has been almost entirely removed to give access to chancel. Chancel and nave extensively renovated and furnished in 1894. Although in ruins from the Dissolution to 1844, this is still one of the most complete fortified churches in the area. See Curwen, Castles & Towers of Cumberland & Westmorland, 1913 pp328-30; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, xiii, ppll3-121.

Listing NGR: NY1986955244

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
71973
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 328-30
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 13, (), 113-121

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07776/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Messenger. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].