Church of St. Frideswide

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1213105
Date first listed:
29-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Frideswide, Frilsham, Thatcham

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Frideswide
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213105.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:58:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Frideswide, Frilsham, Thatcham

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Berkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Frilsham
National Grid Reference:
SU 53804 73195

Details

SU 57 SW 5/3

FRILSHAM BROOKS LANE (west side) Church of St. Frideswide

II*

Church. C12 with C15 chancel and west tower and porch of circa 1837. Flint, tile and rubble with stone dressings, west tower and porch of red brick with Bath stone dressings; tiled roofs. West tower, nave (including narrower C12 chancel), south porch and chancel.

West tower: two stages with string courses and battlemented parapet with stone coping. Louvred lancet bell chamber openings with returned hoodmoulds on north, south and west faces; clock above opening to north. Studded and panelled arched door to south and lancet to west, both with returned hoodmoulds.

Nave: lancets with returned hoodmoulds flanking tower at west end. South side: south-west door with simple moulded C12 round arch, and boarded door with some old ironwork. Two windows to right with three cusped lights under segmental heads, that to left C19, that to right C15. North side: two re-worked C12 windows to left. C12 doorway to right of one order with shafts, moulded bases, scalloped capitals and impost mouldings. C19 door under segmental arch. R.L.R.P. on stone in gable end to east above chancel.

South porch: brick with plinth, cornice, battlemented parapet with stone coping; four-centered moulded arch with carved trefoils in spandrels and shafts with moulded capitals and bases.

Chancel: one square headed window to north and south with two cusped lights and hoodmoulds; diagonal buttress to south-east. East end with four-centered window of three cusped lights with hoodmould and two small buttresses beneath.

Interior: C17 arch braced double purlin nave roof with tie beams, collars and windbraces; C19 chancel roof with arch and wind braces. C20 west gallery, possibly C12 font, Jacobean Pulpit and reader's desk. C19 Chancel arch with round arch and shafts.

Listing NGR: SU5380473195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
397624
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 72-73
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 144-145
'Murrays Architectural Guide' in Berkshire, (1949), 126
Websites
British Geological Survey, Strategic Stone Study, accessed 5 February 2020 from https://www.bgs.ac.uk/mineralsuk/buildingStones/StrategicStoneStudy/EH_atlases.html

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11615/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Swynford-Lain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].