This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1213264



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Marston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 397817

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/70 Church of St.Mary


- I

Parish church. C13 N. aisle, C14 S. aisle and porch, C15 chancel, N. vestry and W. tower, late C15 clerestory and alterations to S. arcade, chancel restored 1854. All restored 1920-21. Chancel is of ashlar, remainder of squared and coursed rubble stone. Lead roofs. W. tower of 3 stages has diagonal buttresses, remains of moulded plinth, battlemented parapet with carved gargoyles, and 2-light openings to bell-chamber. W. door has moulded 2-centred arch with hoodmould, and 2-light traceried window above. Nave has battlemented parapet and clerestory with 3 bays of 4-light cusped windows with flat heads. N. aisle has small lancet to W., and 2-light traceried windows flanking moulded arched doorway to N. S. aisle has plain parapet and 2 3-light windows with flat heads, that to left with uncusped lights. Finely moulded S. doorway, double chamfered arch to porch. E. window of S. aisle is Decorated with 3-lights, one blocked by chancel buttress, with ogee tracery and one carved head stop to hoodmould. Chancel and vestry have battlemented parapet with crocketted finials, moulded corbel table below with carved heads and half-figures, and moulded plinth, sill course and dripmould. Off-set buttresses. Chancel has 3 bays of Perpendicular windows with moulded frames, similar 5-light with some ogee tracery to E. S. doorway has 4-centred arch. 2-storey vestry has irregular cusped lights and octagonal stair turret. Interior: triple chamfered tower arch. Nave has N. arcade of double chamfered arches with outer nailhead moulding on quatrefoil piers with moulded caps. 2 arches to W. of S. arcade are chamfered and moulded and have central octagonal pier with concave sides. Arch to E, is moulded and has piers with unusual vertical mouldings and fleurons to capitals. To E. of S. arcade is cusped ogee arch with ornamental fleurons and arch to rood-loft above. Fine late C15 roof with moulded beams,braced tie beams with traceried spandrels, and carved angel corbels. Aisles have traces of wall paintings. S. aisle has Decorated E. bay with fleurons to moulded sill course, window surround and low arched recess, probably shrine of John Schorne. E. window has ogee niches in jambs, that to right on carved head corbel. Decorated piscina. Chancel has blind window over 4-centred doorway to vestry, moulded ogee piscina with shelf on 4-centred arch, and triple sedilia with ogee canopied niches. E. wall has C19 reredos and flanking ogee niches with painted texts. Fittings: C15 octagonal font of clunch with quatrefoil panels and shields. C15 choir stalls with carved misericords, poppyheads and traceried front panels. C16 pews, poor-box and chest, C16-C17 altar table. Other fittings C19. Reredos and glass in E. window, 1854, were the gift of Queen Victoria in memory of John Camden Nield. Monuments: Brass plaques to Elizabeth Saunders 1613 and Richard Saunders 1602. Stone tablet to John Virgin, vicar, 1694 with crude relief carving and inscription. Marble wall tablet to Thomas Saunders and family, 1744, with fluted Doric pilasters, entablature and pediment. Wall tablet to Richard Saunders, 1751, in N. aisle, with pediment and flanking scrolls.

RCHM II p. 223-5.

Listing NGR: SP7769922700

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 77705 22700


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1213264 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 02:07:03.

End of official listing