CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, SLEAFORD ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1215320.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 00:43:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, SLEAFORD ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 21210 57584
TF 2057-2157 TATTERSHALL SLEAFORD ROAD
10/76 Church of Holy 14.9.66 Trinity
Collegiate and parish church. 1440-1500, by Ralph Cromwell. Licensed in 1439 by King Henry VI to convert a Norman Parish church into a Collegiate Church, for 7 priests, 6 secular clerks, 6 choristers and 13 poor old people in the almshouses. Completed by William of Waynflete. College demolished 1545. Most glass removed to Stamford in 1754. Restored 1893-97. Ashlar and lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, chancel, north porch. 4 stage tower, plinth, moulded string courses, plain parapet, angle buttresses and pinnacles. Belfry stagehas triple louvred lights in a 4 centred arched surround to each side. Panelled and traceried double doors in a deeply recessed double concave arched surround with shields and quatrefoil in the spandrels and an outer panelled order with lozenges. There are 2 vertical traceried panels to either side of the doorway and above a cusped frieze with shields. Above a large 5 light transomed window and a rectangular single light to third stage. On north side of tower a large painted clock face. To either side are large 4 light windows to the aisles. The church has a bell moulded plinth, plain parapets and stepped buttresses with pinnacles. The north side has 5 large 4 light windows. The clerestory has 4 pairs of 3 light windows in 4 centred arched surrounds. Gabled south porch has 4 centred outer arch with quatrefoils to the spandrels and to the right a niche for a stoup. Above the arch is a square panel containing the arms of Bishop Waynflete, surmounted by an empty ogee headed niche with cross fleury. Side benches and 2 light windows. C15 roof with moulded principals. Inner door, panelled with traceried heads and ogee wicket. Inner arch matches the outer. North transept has single 4 light window to the west and a 6 light transomed window to the north, and the east side 2 four light windows. The sides of the transept are clerestoried with paired 3 light windows. The chancel has 5 transomed 3 light windows. The east window is transomed with 7 lights and empty rib vaulted and embattled niche above. The south chancel wall is as the north, but at the base are the ledges for former cloister roof. The south transept is as the north with the addition of a doorway in the south wall with moulded surround. The south aisle matches the north and has a doorway as the north but without a porch. Interior. Ashlar interior. 4 bay north and south arcades with taller single eastern bays into the transepts. Lozenge shaped piers on tall bases, clustered triple shafted reveals, octagonal imposts, hollow chamfered arches. Between the arches round wall shafts ascend to octagonal corbels, supporting the tie beams of the contemporary roof which has angel supporters and brattished principals. Tall panelled tower arch with double wave moulded continuous surround and tall bell moulded base. In the sides of the tower are deeply hollow chamfered arches, opening into the aisles. The aisle roofs match that of the nave and have foliate corbels. In the south transept chapel is a piscina with ribbed vault and frieze of roses to the cill. The ashlar base with pierced quatrefoils of the original screen survives as do 2 pierced panels of the woodwork. In the south wall of the north transpet is a further vaulted piscina with oak leaf frieze to the cill. Before the chancel arch is a C16 stone pulpitum having central double doors with decorative muntins, traceried heads to the panels, set in a 4 centred arched surround with shafted reveals and cusped head. Flanked by 2 recesses with similar arches, the one on the right is pierced with 3 quatrefoils. Above the arches are 2 tiers of blank cusp headed panels, divided by half round ribs. The top of the screen is embellished with unusual enriched trefoil brattishing. Panelled passageway leads to Collegiate chancel. On the eastern side of the screen is a projecting canted gallery with blank panels and brattishing matching the west side. Panelled chancel arch with shafted reveals and annular capitals. Chancel roof has arched ties resting on octagonal corbels of angel supporters carrying shields. The roof has brattished wall plates and principals, and pierced panel traceried spandrels. In the south wall is a triple sedilia with piscina beyond having 4 centred arched heads with ogee crocketed canopies, pinnacles and a frieze decorated with fabulous beasts and a trefoil brattished top. In the east window the 7 lower window panels contain C15 glass, some reset, all that remainedafter the Earl of Exeter removed the rest to Stamford in 1754. Fittings. Many reused pieces of C15 woodwork in prayer desks and sides of chancel pulpit. The octagonal nave pulpit with decorative panel sides appears to be original. The font is octagonal with swept base having traceried panel sides. The bowl is chamfered below and plain. Monuments. In the north transept are 6 brasses, 3 to Collegiate clergymen, 2 half sized showing the deceased robed in full vestments. William Moor, B.D., d.1456, Joan, Lady Cromwell, d.1479, depicted in rich costume and surrounded by figures of saints. Matilda, Lady Willoughby d'Evesby, d.1497, also life sized and attended by saints. A warden of the College, 1510-1520, possibly Henry Hornby, attired as a priest with cassock, surplice and fur tippet. William Symon, d.1519, priest.
Listing NGR: TF2121057584
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing